Weird Question, but want input (nicotine pouches)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
***I preface this by saying, I am not asking medical advice and I am not taking anything as medical advice. I just want to know if anyone has had this issue and what helped them. I take all replies solely as suggestions and nothing more.***

Hi all,

Recently, due to a job change, I am working a bit longer (job is much better though, dont get me wrong), and I started buying some of these popular, non-tobacco, nicotine pouches. The ones that are pure white with what I would imagine is an alkaline to help with absorption.

The bad part, I have been feeling flush and hot and checked my BP and these things are causing it to elevate quite a bit.

It was under control and smoking a pipe never caused an issue. Checked it earlier this evening when I couldnt sleep, and it was 163/102.

Granted, im a fairly healthy, food conscious person and I already take meds for it. Typically runs about 125/75.

Now though, I am feeling the addictive properties of these pouches and its been difficult to go 8-12 hours without relaxing with a pipe. I find I am sometimes spitting one out and immediately popping another in. Think of it as a coffee boost during the busy hours of my day.

I never smoked a pipe for nicotine, it was for focusing and relaxing.

My question is, for anyone who has transitioned from a nicotine addiction, or was able to cut back, what tricks helped you or are there any herbal or low nicotine options you used to get you off a prior habit?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've used pouches primarily on the drive to work. They give me hiccups and indigestion, so I'm doubtful to order more even though they have a place.

Lately, I've been vaping. My cigarette use is down substantially and I can do it at home and in the car. If your work allows vaping, then great. There is no residual smell and vaping is flavorful, but overly sweet.

If oral fixation is the issue, there are herbal pouches. Director Kevin Smith swears by nicotine lozenges.

A certain drug helps curve the cravings (damn if I remember the name) and I've heard more than one person quit by buying the cheapest and nastiest cigarettes to make the experience less enjoyable.

Regardless of what you decide, stay strong. You have the ability to do this.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Only thing that worked for me was vaping. Gum, patch, candy.. None worked for me. With vaping, it was basically same as smoking without smoking. But you might try patch if nicotine is all you need.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I had a similar issue with nasal snuff when I first discovered it. I found it best to limit the doses per day (4 per day for snuff was good for me, with 2 or 3 before lunch). Evening time, I'd force myself to skip the snuff and settle with a pipe or cigar. If I had a significant nicotine craving, I'd just smoke a stronger pipe or cigar tobacco. Good luck!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Have you considered just replacing it with coffee/some other caffeine substance since you mention that was your original intent for it?

If my blood pressure was being elevated that high from pouches, I’d remove them entirely. You mention already being on BP meds and at 125/75 normally…….I’d ditch those things cold turkey.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Instead, I'd use Swedish snus or American loose leaf chewing tabac
Absolutely -- look into Swedish snus (the real thing, not the crap sold as Camel snus or whatever). Real tobacco (pasteurized), spitless, doesn't tear up your gums, and provides a smooth, steady nic rather than the sudden blast then throw it away nature of nic pouches. Worth a google. It's also a plus health-wise (the only 'smokeless' product the FDA allows import of, and the only product the FDA deems a 'reduced harm tobacco' due to how it's prepared). I picked up an assortment of them in Stockholm during a trip, and I've been enjoying it ever since. You can order online from Sweden if in the US.

• Love
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.