We're Going to London. Location Recommendations Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In London you have Carnaby Street, The Cheshire Cheese in London was frequented by Dr. Johnson. The Inn of Courts is quite interesting. El Vino's Wine Bar on Fleet Street in amusing and fun. Trafalgar Square and Nelson's Column. Any of the bookshops on Charing Cross Road and the antique market on Saturdays at the Embankment. British Museum, Natural History Museum and Science Museum. Take in a play on Shaftesbury Ave just off Tottenham Court Road. Day trip to Brighton could be fun and a little challenging due to a sudden outbreak of 'woke-ness' and general weirdness, a visit to the Brighton Pavilion is also worth doing.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Been mentioned, but avoid Slough completely. It's one big industrial estate with no charm. Windsor is nice, and so is Guildford if I recall. I was in London for a couple of days recently. HMS Belfast is a cool experience. Its a WW2 light cruiser moored right next to Tower Bridge. They haven't sanitised the experience on board. You have to navigate narrow corridors, low ceilings, pipe work, valves and dials to get round. Feels a bit like caving. The gun turrets are particularly impressive. I also went with my kids to see Bach to the Future The Musical at the West End. If that isnt your kind of show there are plenty of others. There is a real hustle and bustle around the Leicester Square area all the time.
Getting around on the tube these days is really easy. You don't even need to buy a ticket. Scan your bank card on entry and exit from stations and the journey is debited automatically. I read that this should work with most foreign bank cards.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Hampton and Hampton Court are well worth a visit. Richmond is nice.

Oxford, if you can be bothered to go that bit further - there is a coach that goes direct from Oxford to Heathrow, it says it’s £19 one way, here’s the link to have a look if that floats your boat -

Speaking of boats; you can catch a boat from near to the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, all the way up to Hampton Court. If memory serves me right, it takes about an hour ish to get there, it’s lovely little trip up the Thames.
Here’s a link for one company, but there are a few different ones to choose from, so you might get a cheaper price - Thames River Taxi

Hampton Court is easily a day, to have a good look around, here’s a couple of photos from a recent trip.

IMG_4116.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thanks for the inspiration @scloyd! Sitting on the deck working my London area priorities! I said ‘24 or ‘25 because we’ve had a feeling for awhile ‘24 could involve a wedding and sure enough a couple of nights ago we found out it will, lol, oldest daughter will have some claim on our summer ‘24 budget, haha, but this morning I’m thinking what better way to treat ourselves, haha, just have to find a “London On A Sixpence Per Day” guide!!!

Loving this thread!!

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
The wife and I are headed to London late Sept for our 25th Anniversary. Our route includes Oxford, Bath, Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Kew Gardens.

How are the British people about pipe smoking in public places? Outdoors, of course.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The wife and I are headed to London late Sept for our 25th Anniversary. Our route includes Oxford, Bath, Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Kew Gardens.

How are the British people about pipe smoking in public places? Outdoors, of course.
Congrats on the 25 years.
Since this will be our first trip to London, we changed our plans to basically staying the entire trip in London. We reserved an Airbnb for 8 nights. We may do a day trip to Bath.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England

Generally speaking, you’ll get more people telling you that it reminds them of their grandad rather than scowling at you and chuntering about it smelling like a bonfire. That being said, there’s always the possibility of running into a mardy-arse along the way.

Reactions: paulfg and jpmcwjr

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Congrats on the 25 years.
Since this will be our first trip to London, we changed our plans to basically staying the entire trip in London. We reserved an Airbnb for 8 nights. We may do a day trip to Bath.
I highly recommend getting out of London if you can, if only for a day trip. By London, I mean the South East in general. 😆

Reactions: jaingorenard

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of my favs as well. Great restoration of HMS (?) Cutty Sark right there, too. The trip is worth it even if you stay on the boat and return to London!

Reactions: scloyd