PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I recently PCS'd to Louisiana and had to leave many of my favorite shops behind. Is anyone familiar with any local pipe shops? Hopefully I can avoid having to make weekend excursions to Houston or New Orleans solely for the purpose of buying tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Unfortunately, when I lived south of Lafayette several years ago I had to trek over to New Orleans if I wanted pipe tobacco locally.

Are you at Fort Polk? Somewhere else?

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Unfortunately, when I lived south of Lafayette several years ago I had to trek over to New Orleans if I wanted pipe tobacco locally.

Are you at Fort Polk? Somewhere else?
I am yeah, not a bad place to be a junior officer so far. I'm an outdoorsman so I've been enjoying it more than I was led to believe I would.
Is New Orleans a good place for pipe tobacco?

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I know it's not the same, but for this we have online retail. As long as you have your APO, I think you're okay. At one point, my FPO was my lifeline.
I suppose you're right. I just enjoy the feel of an old B&M and getting to know the staff and the regulars.

Reactions: mso489

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where were you, and where have you landed?

Sorry, don't know LA in terms of tobacco- coffee and beignets, yes....

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: Streeper541

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Where were you, and where have you landed?

Sorry, don't know LA in terms of tobacco- coffee and beignets, yes....
I was at Fort Benning for about 8 months, and now I'm over at Fort Polk. Luckily my long term girlfriend loves New Orleans and has vacationed there several times so I'll have an excuse as to why we should go visit so often.

Reactions: mso489 and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're right, you can't beat a good independent pipe, cigar, and tobacco shop with a well-seasoned proprietor and some knowledgeable customers. I don't mean this in a sacrilegious way, but its like belonging to a church, not instead of, but in addition to.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I haven't lived in the area in 8 years. Last time I stopped through that way (Feb of last year) I picked up pipe tobacco at the truck stop outside Lafayette. I used to get good stuff at the New Orleans Cigar Co, but rumor is they don't carry pipe tobacco anymore. The place I used to go to in Morgan City closed down.

There is a great search tool here on the forums you can use to look up vendors. I'm also sure you could do a search online and find some results. Good luck.

Reactions: kurtbob

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Visited New Orleans 2 years ago, I bought some local tobacco from Mayan Import Co Inc. They have more of a cigar selection, but also have a section of shelves with tobacco tins and jars of their tobacco blends to purchase. We plan to return to New Orleans and I'm headed straight to this place again to get more of their tobacco blends. You might want to call them before visiting if you plan to make a trip to New Orleans. I did see some pipes for sale also. Hope this helps

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Welcome from Florida and I’ll save you the trouble no B and Ms here to speak if so that will save you driving this far! Did my basic and jump school on sand hill so happy for you you’re out of there.

Reactions: kurtbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am yeah, not a bad place to be a junior officer so far. I'm an outdoorsman so I've been enjoying it more than I was led to believe I would.
Is New Orleans a good place for pipe tobacco?
I don't know. But it's a freaking awesome city. Though when I visited it when I was 16 no mofos would sell me smokes (which was weird), yet booze I never got carded for there. Still haven't figured that out.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Any recommendations for old/interesting B&Ms?
Well, I see you survived Covid and all the West Point shenanigans! Congrats on the commission sir! Got zero info on local B&M’s. Only been to Polk TDY several times. You’re right though, great place if you're into hunting and fishing!