PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve always believed in a traditional wooden humidor lined in cedar.

But, since it’s been a long time that I’ve smoked cigars, and recently getting back to it, I see now, the choices are overwhelming.

Since I store my pipe tobacco in mason jars, I figured why not for cigars.

My first purchase coming back was only 6 sticks, I placed in a quart sized mason jar, with a Boost humidification pack.

I then realized we had in the house a larger jar, and the Boost pack wasn’t doing much, so I tossed it out, and bought a 69% Boveda and tossed them all in the larger jar.

Stored like this in a jar, once a week, I open it for a few seconds, to air a little, to ensure not to much moisture build up or mold.

I’ve been considering getting a Savoy Humidor, hearing that Ashton makes these, every review I’ve read on them has been positive.

So, what’s your storage preference? 🤔

E00D4878-71B4-4F7C-9563-1ACA8878A7BE.jpeg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I store part of my collection in an Igloo cooler. I use the humidification beads and Boveda packs. This cooler can sometimes go six months without being opened. The rest of my hoard is in 2 gallon ziplocs with Bovedas. The moisture loss is very, very slow. I keep meaning to move it to mylar, but never get around to it. All of this is in my office, which is humidified to 60% in the winter, and can go to 70% in the summer, with temps ranging from 65-75. I have cigars going back 20 years, and they seem to be doing quite well for being in such an low tech, low maintenance storage scheme.

My ultimate plan is to build a humidified closet with ultrasonic humidifiers and lots of air flow, but I’ll probably never get around to it.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Just a wood humidor. I have a little one that my wife got me when we were married 30+ years ago, 25 + cigars. And a big one I got years later that can hold maybe 200 ish. I like the idea of Mason jars but don't know because I have some sense that the cigars need some air exchange and the wood humidors are not airtight. In the last decade or so I keep plenty of 69% bovida in them (and I recharge my bovida packs). It's worked for ....well, 30+ years.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes it’s my understanding mason jars are to airtight and need some air from time to time.

I mentioned Savoy for a humidor, but I was also wondering about the Small Acrylic by Boveda too.

Down the road, I do plan on buying some expensive cigars, not sure about this Acrylic Boveda... hmm 🤔

P.S. Maybe I should cough up and get a Prometheus... 🤔

Sep 18, 2015
I have a mix of storage choices, several large coolers, a collection of traditional 100-300 wood humidors some of which are at least 20 years old, a collection of tupperdor’s and a couple of large homemade wooden humidors, all in a Spare room with there own climate control. If I didn’t have the extra room I wo have given up on the factory made boxes a long time ago, even with Boveda they are not very stable and require a ton of maintenance, the tupperdor’s and coolers are the easiest, cheapest, set and forget it method.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I certainly understand traditional humidors are work to season and up keep on them.

This is why I was considering the Acrylic Boveda case...

There’s also this Large Acrylic 75-Cigar Humidor Powered by Boveda.

These acrylic cases do seem spendy. I’ve been looking for months at various Tupperdors, humidors, etc...

P.S. I really like the idea of an Igloo cooler a Coolidor. Throw some cedar and boveda in, inexpensive and good to go...

Here’s a Igloo Legend 6-Can Cooler, Red, 5 Qt on Amazon;

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Air exchange is important, except for long term aging (well over 10 years), in which case I've seen better results from wrapping the boxes in glassine and leaving them undisturbed. There will still be some air exchange as you fiddle with boxes nearby. I have smoked Clear Havanas from as early as the 1910s that were still quite enjoyable because they had been wrapped and left with minimal air exchange.

That said, I have 3 wooden desktops for my smoke-now stash. They all perform equally well, with one being a custom handmade, one a beautiful Gentili, and one a cheapo from one of those introductory sampler offers. All have been in service for years and years and require minimal attention.

All boxes destined for at least a couple years of aging are kept in a 70 quart cooler. Everything is humidified with beads sold specifically to the cigar community.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
If it's an older (read "codger") blend of which I am particularly fond, I will place it in a heavy Ziploc bag, and place that bag inside of an appropriate vintage tin. I recently did this with Velvet
1705877573181.png and all I can say is that filling my pipe from this tin and then lighting-up with wooden matches is the closest thing to time-travel that I'll ever experience.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If it's an older (read "codger") blend of which I am particularly fond, I will place it in a heavy Ziploc bag, and place that bag inside of an appropriate vintage tin. I recently did this with Velvet
View attachment 281476 and all I can say is that filling my pipe from this tin and then lighting-up with wooden matches is the closest thing to time-travel that I'll ever experience.

Sounds like you’re talking pipes? 🤔

We’re talking Cigar Storage here in ‘Cigar Discussion’. :)

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I've a Savoy humidor that works exceptionally well, especially given it's fairly modest price. My only major complaint is that the hygrometer that came with it isn't very good, so I replaced it with a digital one that is much better.

As for pipe tobacco, parfait jars (those glass jars with the hinge and rubber seal). A bit overkill, I admit; but it works like a charm.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
A Staebell Aristocrat 48 is my main humidor. And other stuff stashed in footlocker and smaller humidors.

The Aristocrat is a stock photo - not mine. But I’m too lazy to walk down to main floor to take a picture of it.

View attachment 281814

Wow, that’s a serious box! :)

Well, when you’re not feeling lazy, I’m sure many would love to see the Stogie Cave and Case pics... :)