PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I started playing when I was 50 and my daughter brought home a cheap dart board when she finished her university. We destroyed it quickly playing the around the clock game. Since then I had three boards, the last one lasting the longest since I discovered that it should be rotated occasionally. I don't play well but it's the process, isn't it? Just go and throw some darts when you feel like it.

Subscribed to PDCTV, it's quite an addictive and dynamic sport especially on the highest level. And new developments in PDC are astonishing :)

Anyone else enjoy darts as a hobby?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I enjoyed playing darts and drinking beers when I was younger. I still have a few sets of darts and a dart board. I may just have to set it up this weekend

Reactions: viktor
Sep 18, 2015
Back in the day I would play 3-4 tournaments every weekend to supplement my income, I could pretty much count on $500-600 a weekend. Had several friends that played professionally and could usually hold my own with them, haven’t played in a while but still have a board and a good set.

Reactions: PaulRVA and romaso

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Back in the day I would play 3-4 tournaments every weekend to supplement my income, I could pretty much count on $500-600 a weekend. Had several friends that played professionally and could usually hold my own with them, haven’t played in a while but still have a board and a good set.
What was your 501 three dart average? 50/60/70/80? Just curious.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Underrated game. It is difficult to actually hit what you're aiming for but I'm not an avid player. But it seems that way with everyone I play with

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I used to play competitively many years ago. Did well in New York leagues (a couple of second place team City titles, some singles and doubles in first and second place, among others; played in one international tournament in 1988, which had the biggest prize at the time (the Lucky Strike Challenge of the Champions—I never got out of the opening qualifying round robin, though—almost beat Nicky Virachkul, but missed my one chance at Double Top and paid the price); placed top 32 Cricket Doubles in the 1988 New Orleans Open with a friend and made our money back.

I eventually developed a hitch in my smooth as silk stroke and a mental block that prevented me from being able to let go of the dart (commonly referred to as “dartitis” or the ”yips.” Took many years off; tried playing league again a few years ago, but couldn’t throw consistently, or well enough to be enjoyable or fun.

I picked up a tournament style setup awhile ago for practicing at the house and am hoping to get back into it. I miss it and watch PDC tournaments when I can.

Reactions: PaulRVA and viktor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Darts came up in another thread a while back. Used to love the game. :)

This was my response, copied here rather than typing it out again. (computers do have a few useful features... not many, but a few)

------------------------

It sure was fun, wasn't it?

Discovered that I had a knack, and went all in for a while. (Then a lovely girl came along, and, well, my interests were re-directed... lol)

Anyway, was captain of a team that won the Greater Phoenix League Championship three seasons in a row, won a televised cricket tournament final once, and was a Western States All-Stars team alternate.

And I still have half a shoebox filled with tungsten dart bodies, assorted shafts & flights, and two diamond wire bristle boards in a closet.

Coming up on 40 years ago... (now that's a weird feeling)

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I used to play and enjoyed it...many, many years ago. I was decent but I couldnt hang with the big league guys for sure. Just some fun with some beers. I never cared for gambling on darts. I know I wasnt that good!

Reactions: PaulRVA