What are Some Famous American Pipe Manufacturers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
Good tobacco, of course, requires a good pipe. But what different experiences will different pipes (materials, shapes) bring?

Reactions: chopper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are manufacturers (ie factories) vs artisans (individual) makers.
Are you looking for factory made or artisanal pipes ?

Unfortunately with the decline in smoking a lot of manufacturers have closed or shrunk in size, not only in the USA, but worldwide.

Retailers like SmokingPipes and Blue Room Briars carry quite a few American makers. They are a good starting point.

Pipedia is a very good resource.,
Otherwise Google "American / USA Tibacco Pipes" and a list of threads on these Forums will come up.

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you are looking for artisans there are dozens, hundreds maybe. Some of my favorites (of which a few have stopped carving but can still be found as estates) are Nate King, Scottie Piersel, J Alan, Ryan Alden, Abe Herbaugh, JT Cooke, Lee Von Erck, Bruce Weaver (RIP), Rad Davis, David S. Huber, SmithHouse Pipes, Yeti Pipes, Dragon Briars, Elliot Nachwalter, Nathan Armentrout, Walt Cannoy, Scott Thile, Kraig Seder, Adam Davidson, Bill Shalosky, Clark Layton, Jared Coles, Jody Davis, Mark and Glenn Tinsky, Larry Roush, Micah Redmond, Randy Wiley….

Among others ?

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Artisan or factory makers?
This is the real question to be asked. I can think of many older American pipe manufacturers, many of which are no longer operational, but I can think of a lot more individual artisans currently producing fantastic pipes. We are living in an American pipe making renaissance.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many U.S. factory pipe makers are either no longer in business or really small. beefeater' named the three highest volume U.S. tobacco pipe manufacturers. I think Dr. Grabow is the largest U.S. maker of briar pipes by volume, and it is not a large organization. Missouri Meerschaum makes the highest volume overall, mostly cob pipes and some hardwood pipes. Kaywoodie makes Kaywoodie pipes and sub-brands Yello-Bole and Medico; I hear it is almost a one man operation, I guess with some part-time assistants.

By comparison, Italian, French, English, and Irish pipe factories produce higher volume than U.S. factories, I'd guess from offerings online. Probably the Danish as well.

Reactions: OzPiper

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
If you are looking for artisans there are dozens, hundreds maybe. Some of my favorites (of which a few have stopped carving but can still be found as estates) are Nate King, Scottie Piersel, J Alan, Ryan Alden, Abe Herbaugh, JT Cooke, Lee Von Erck, Bruce Weaver (RIP), Rad Davis, David S. Huber, SmithHouse Pipes, Yeti Pipes, Dragon Briars, Elliot Nachwalter, Nathan Armentrout, Walt Cannoy, Scott Thile, Kraig Seder, Adam Davidson, Bill Shalosky, Clark Layton, Jared Coles, Jody Davis, Mark and Glenn Tinsky, Larry Roush, Micah Redmond, Randy Wiley….

Among others ?
Good list. To those mentioned, I would add Trever Talbert, Paul Bonacquisti and Rolando Negoita.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two of my favorite U.S. made pipes, one of them still in production and the other maybe not, are: The Kaywoodie Saxon series which I have in a straight billiard and a four-square billiard panel -- these are still in production though they go in and out of inventory online, and the Dr. Grabow Royalton bent bulldog which has disappeared for a while. I think perhaps an old timer who turned that beautiful shape with artisan precision has retired. The Royaltons are still available in other shapes (I also have an apple) and they have durable acrylic stems.

If anyone knows people at the Dr. Grabow factory in Sparta, please pass along my special admiration and thanks for whoever carved those Royalton bulldogs, one of the best bulldogs done without bead lines on the bowl. It's a classic among both factory and artisan pipes, in my opinion.