PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Per the titles, interesting biographical stories of the Elizabethan period, published in 1842. Picked up the pair at a favorite used book shop in Butte Montana for a few dollars. Enjoying them so far!

Attachments

• IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5578.jpeg
    IMG_5578.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5577.jpeg
    IMG_5577.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Bandersnatch: C.S.Lewis, J.R.R.Tolkien, and the Creative Collaboration of The Inklings
A very interesting examination of the Inklings as a group and the profound effect that their interactions had upon each other's works.
If one is a fan of Tolkien and Lewis, I highly recommend this fascinating account.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hanta Yo by Ruth Beebe Hill - my favorite book and second time reading it. A great story and a fascinating look into what Native American life was like near the end of the 18th century/beginning of the 19th. A while back, I posted an excerpt from it here on the forum as it provided a detailed description of ceremonial pipe being made.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Not so much "reading" it, as it is a dictionary, but it's propped up at the breakfast table for browsing.
71cpe1nHdML._SL1500_.jpg

Dang, I loved those books!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My teachers, required reading good books. I wonder if kids get to read these today?

Red Badge of Courage

——

The youth cringed as if discovered in a crime. By heavens, they had won after all! The imbecile line had remained and become victors. He could hear cheering.

He lifted himself upon his toes and looked in the direction of the fight. A yellow fog lay wallowing on the treetops. From beneath it came the clatter of musketry. Hoarse cries told of an advance.

He turned away amazed and angry. He felt that he had been wronged.

He had fled, he told himself, because annihilation approached. He had done a good part in saving himself, who was a little piece of the army. He had considered the time, he said, to be one in which it was the duty of every little piece to rescue itself if possible. Later the officers could fit the little pieces together again, and make a battle front. If none of the little pieces were wise enough to save themselves from the flurry of death at such a time, why, then, where would be the army? It was all plain that he had proceeded according to very correct and commendable rules. His actions had been sagacious things. They had been full of strategy. They were the work of a master's legs.

Thoughts of his comrades came to him. The brittle blue line had withstood the blows and won. He grew bitter over it. It seemed that the blind ignorance and stupidity of those little pieces had betrayed him. He had been overturned and crushed by their lack of sense in holding the position, when intelligent deliberation would have convinced them that it was impossible. He, the enlightened man who looks afar in the dark, had fled because of his superior perceptions and knowledge. He felt a great anger against his comrades. He knew it could be proved that they had been fools.
——

Reactions: mingc

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Now reading “Project Apollo, The Tough Decisions” by Robert Seamans.

He was the Deputy director of NASA from the middle of the Gemini program on through Apollo.

A fascinating look behind the scenes at the politics and technical management of the manned space flight program of the era. The “popular” history of the era glosses over or mis-states what was really going on, as is typical.