PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill. This guy took a lot of flack in his day, but for only being a quarter or so of the way in, his words really do speak to me. The timing is most serendipitous and interesting; this book came out in 1937, on the heels of the Great Depression, and here I am, on the heels of the Covid depression (at least his depression wasn't unannounced!), and it's painfully obvious that humans and the world at large are exactly the same as they were 90+ years ago. 5/5, so far.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
For those of you who are into today's better literary fiction (I know from reading this thread that many of you are), I totally recommend giving this book a try. I'm only halfway through, but so far it is the best new novel I have read in years. It is not a light read but well worth the effort. It's unlike anything I've read, but I see some similarities to Kundera, Pessoa, Benjamin Labatut, maybe early Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm stretching with these comparisons because it is so unusual. It's well worth checking out.
1696014762003.png

Reactions: RonB, Carol and BCF

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
For those of you who are into today's better literary fiction (I know from reading this thread that many of you are), I totally recommend giving this book a try. I'm only halfway through, but so far it is the best new novel I have read in years. It is not a light read but well worth the effort. It's unlike anything I've read, but I see some similarities to Kundera, Pessoa, Benjamin Labatut, maybe early Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm stretching with these comparisons because it is so unusual. It's well worth checking out.
View attachment 249935
Sounds like you might appreciate W.G. Sebald. If you haven't read him, consider Rings of Saturn or Austerlitz. Additionally, if you're interested in learning more about Romania during communism, consider Saint of the Prisons. Cheers!

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
View attachment 249935
Ok, your post here intrigued me enough to place this on hold on my library's app. Turns out they have an audio copy, which is my preferred way of reading. When I get around to listening to it I'll chime back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.