PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of the way through this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. Reading baseball box scores.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
With any luck, my last smoke of the day will be year 2020 Angler's Dream in a 2018 natural smooth medium bend Peterson 03 apple silver spigot military mount with a tapered black acrylic fish tail stem. It's time to check on the ferals.
Peterson03_Natural_Spigot_2Stems.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Finished my pipeful of Haunted Bookshop and now I'm on to G.L. Pease's Union Square in the Rattray's Blower's Daughter before bed.

20240401025321_IMG_4876~2.JPG

I've only had Union Square a few times thus far so I'm still working out my thoughts on it, but it definitely captures that "moldering leaf litter" aroma and flavor profile that some red Virginias can have moreso than any other Virginia blend I've ever smoked. It's surprisingly dark and earthy for a pure Virginia and would be a really excellent gateway into Virginias for a Burley smoker, or a gateway into Burleys for a Virginia smoker!

The melange of Virginia flavors are soft but not too subtle, with the dark, earthy, bready, autumn leaf litter red Virginia flavors right up front and just a little touch of green tea-like bright Virginia off in the background to keep it from being monotone, and it's surprisingly forgiving when it comes to burn temperature and smoking cadence. You'd really have to freight train it to get Union Square to bite or turn ashy tasting, so it would be a very forgiving blend for a less experienced pipe smoker or just absentminded all day puffing. It stays lit quite easily too (after rubbing out the broken flakes and giving it 10 minutes of dry time at least), and the pleasantly noticable but not overbearing medium nicotine content makes it seem like a good all day smoke. The high red Virginia content does make for a very zingy retrohale though, so it's not a perfectly smooth blend, but it is a tasty one.

All in all I'm really enjoying Union Square, and while I'm not sure it'll replace Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia as my favorite darker Virginia blend, it's certainly giving Mac Baren's offering some strong competition and I think it would be a top notch choice for a fall and winter Virginia.puffy

Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Happy April everyone! Back to the old grind stone. I am sitting in my office swivel chair wondering where to start my day. Putting aside such worldly concerns I have started my daily smoking adventures with this rather pleasant 6 1/2 " meerschaum 'cutty' with replacement faux amber stem dating from the later part of the 19th century with hallmarked silver band. My tobacco choice for the morning will be Bosun's Plug which I shall smoke through to lunch time before swapping over to Bobs CH Flake. In the meantime to get my motor running on all cylinders I thought a few coins of Brown Twist and an Expresso would put me in the correct frame of mind. Enjoy your day and I'll pop by later and say hello.

thumbnail-3.jpeg