PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
In my last post I complained about the cold -- high 50s! -- weather here in LA. We've had a change in the weather, and it was in the high 70s in this part of town, so I'm outside after work, and I've loaded -- and I honestly mean I loaded -- my Pete House Pipe with Kramer's Fr. Dempsey. (I was going to go with a flake but changed my mind at the last moment, and I'm glad I did. It is burning perfectly, and I think I'll be out here a while as the sun sets.)

I also was ordered [;) @Tar Wheel] to provide a report from yesterday's NASCAR race here in SoCal. Those who follow it already have all the info they need (a record 12 cautions, including two late race stoppages that led to some final lap excitement, including a terrific pass on turn 4 by the race winner, Kyle Larson; and there was a lot of squirrely cars, so the NextGen cars had trouble on the old asphalt), so I'll provide some color:
  • NASCAR really does a good job of getting fans close to things, including opening up pit lane, as well as providing other entertainment like pre-race mini-concerts, Mexican wrestling, stuff for kids. I haven't been to a PGA event in 15 years or so but my understanding is those two sports have the best overall fan experience.
  • We did have to go down to the concourse behind the stands to smoke. A couple guys asked us if we'd bought our cigars at the track and we had to inform them "No."
  • The only person who commented on my Monza jacket was one of the security guys up in the luxury suite area. He liked it. No one said anything about my Ferrari hat (Kimi Raikkonen circa 2009).
  • I enjoyed three Bloody Marys and a couple Coronas. (I was planning on getting a vodka tonic, but the guy in front of me -- in the suite, so all free as is right and good! -- was ordering Bloody Marys and honestly it has maybe been a decade since I had one. I had the bartender make it very spicy, so it was a fine treat.) And there is something truly decadent about having someone bring you our free drinks. (Tip jar filled between my colleague and I.)
  • Whether you're a racing fan, it really is pretty incredible to watch cars go 160 to 190 MPH at such close quarters.
  • And I can't resist, and I know the politics of it (so apologies all), but it is fair to say NASCAR fans like some guy named Brandon.
I'm no longer much of a cigar guy, but I was smoking a Baccarat -- "The Game" and "Dolce Far Niente" is written on the label. Good, bad, who knows. It was a fine smoke for the occasion.

I'm the one smoking the cigar-sized cigar. And my colleague is not as crusty as he looks here.

On Saturday night, my wife and I saw War on Drugs at the Shrine Auditorium. A good show, though not as good as when we have seen them at the Greek Theatre. It was a fun full weekend, like things used to be.

IMG_2847.jpeg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Same MM now with some St. Bruno RR. ☕
@Simmerdown☕️ @FurCoat I've smoked a few packets of St Bruno Ready Rubbed in my clay pipes; the clay pipe smoking competition I read about in Northamptonshire are using St Bruno RR in the clay pipes. I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last! I managed 45 minutes once - do you think I can do it again???

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

St. Bruno: Ready Rubbed in a Meer...​

9sIfuKy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I love Grabows. Nothing like a codger blend in a codger pipe. One of my favorite smokes is SWR in a Grand Duke. SWRA goes in my Savoy. It's as American as mom and apple pie.
Just started to try codger blends and am really enjoying them. The Grabow is the first "real" pipe I owned. No matter how many fancier pipes I acquire I just keep picking this one up.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and green beans dinner with strawberries and pineapple for dessert. I'm a third of the way through this bowl of KBV Father’s Day in a post-1964 black sandblasted medium bend Parker Super BriarBark 109 group 4 bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching The Belle of New York starring Fred Astaire.
1964on_Parker_bent_bulldog109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.