PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In 1997 I spent several hours at the Missouri Meerschaum factory and watched a man make this deluxe Freehand with toasted finish for me. The number of freehands is limited to the jumbo cobs they sort out. It cost $25.

The deluxe vulcanite stem was an option then, they may not offer today.

It’s full of my custom catch all blend of left overs.

IMG_6394.jpeg

I found one I bought online a year or two ago and it’s slightly different, but they are all hand made entirely.

The new one has a lucite stem (actually an improvement) and a metal reinforcing band on the shank, where mine was flared so it didn’t need one. And mine was by golly, toasted and the new one is stained to look toasted. In 1997 they had a cob pipe toaster, to get that finish. Maybe the do gooders or insurance company put a stop to that.

IMG_6395.jpeg

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a big and tasty golden delicious apple, and am a quarter of the way through this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Hogshead in a well appreciated medium bend, smooth brown 1950s Peterson 999 Dublin chubby Rhodesian with a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem.
Peterson_999_Rhodesian-Dublin.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Part way through this bowl of D&R Penhooker in a smooth brown late 1890s, early 1900s unbranded military mount bulldog with a silver windcap and spigot with a black vulcanite, flared stem and orific bit. I'll end the day with this smoke. I was going to bed, but Tomato the Brave jumped on to my chair and settled down to my left side. He's stuck by me all evening and apparently needs me since he doesn't feel well.
1890-1900 unbranded MM bulldog_silver cap.jpgTomatoByMySide.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
In 1997 I spent several hours at the Missouri Meerschaum factory and watched a man make this deluxe Freehand with toasted finish for me. The number of freehands is limited to the jumbo cobs they sort out. It cost $25.

The deluxe vulcanite stem was an option then, they may not offer today.

It’s full of my custom catch all blend of left overs.

View attachment 275800

I found one I bought online a year or two ago and it’s slightly different, but they are all hand made entirely.

The new one has a lucite stem (actually an improvement) and a metal reinforcing band on the shank, where mine was flared so it didn’t need one. And mine was by golly, toasted and the new one is stained to look toasted. In 1997 they had a cob pipe toaster, to get that finish. Maybe the do gooders or insurance company put a stop to that.

View attachment 275802
That’s a process id like to see. Can you remember how long it took to make from start to finish?

Jun 16, 2018
Athens, Greece
Happy new Year forum members and pipe friends!
The Capstan Gold Navy Cut tin (put in a jar) is close to it's end. I am smoking some now in the year's 2024 annual pipe, exclusively made for the members of the Greek Pipe Club by the carver George Leoussis.
I have been gifted a strange, handmade, ceramic pipe with 2 airholes, must check this out.
May, in 2024, you all have good Health and a warm Heart good people!

Yellow Capstan - Pipe of 2024 by GL.jpg
Ceramic pipe.jpg
2 airholes.jpg

BlueRidge

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2022
Haunted Bookshop in a cob. Happy New Year (even to those able to cop Gawith tobaccos the other day while I was at work)!

mQD9aFqh.jpg

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Out on call, a drunk driver took out a large tree. I chopped up and cleared it, now grabbing a street sweeper to finish cleanup.
The Peterson 102 got New Years work duty, first with GLP Windjammer for the lumberjack part then Peterson University Flake for the street sweeper.
Back to Windjammer for the drive home.
Happy New Year!!11E82ADE-1397-42C8-A1EA-56F864BA7B40.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.