PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Pre dinner smoke. “Scrape jar” smoke consisting of a pinch of Folklore, some PS LTF, 4th Generation Evening flake and some burley blend?
Grabbed the Hilson Giant Canadian.
View attachment 283344

Looks like you and I find ourselves in two of the same worlds. Not that I've made my own (yet?), but I'm on Leatherwall, watch Clay Hayes, recently read Stephen Graf's book, etc.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Looks like you and I find ourselves in two of the same worlds. Not that I've made my own (yet?), but I'm on Leatherwall, watch Clay Hayes, recently read Stephen Graf's book, etc.
@SBC ,
I’ve wanted to make a “self bow” for many years. I do more reading in the winter time. One day, while studying the bookshelf, I came across all of my archery books, and decided to sit down and revisit several of them. I’ve decided that this is the year to make a bow!
I think I will start with a bow made out of a board before I try one out of a stave. We have a good, speciality lumber store here in Boise, and I will try and find a suitable board there this week. Always wanted a Osage Orange bow of Native American design and an English, Yew longbow 😏.
I enjoy Clay Hayes videos also. Check out Dan Santana bow making- very knowledgeable.
Have a blessed day!

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
Mcclelland 40th in the Musico Set Special billiard w/ Silver.

View attachment 283473

Hey, BGB - I have a Musico question and my mom suggested I ask you.

I've seen "Foundation" "Set" "Set Special" "Floodlight" "Floodlight Special" and combinations of the above stamped on Musico pipes. What does all that gobbledygook mean?

Thanks, and my mom says hi.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
New-to-me blend from 2020 in a new Peterson system standard rusticated 305 with one of the newer & improved acrylic P-lip stems. P-lips are for me. And these new sized P-lips just take it over the top and give it a new level for me.
Dilemma: preferring the old wood and rustication - but preferring the new stems............

1706545637938.png

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
@SBC ,
I’ve wanted to make a “self bow” for many years. I do more reading in the winter time. One day, while studying the bookshelf, I came across all of my archery books, and decided to sit down and revisit several of them. I’ve decided that this is the year to make a bow!
I think I will start with a bow made out of a board before I try one out of a stave. We have a good, speciality lumber store here in Boise, and I will try and find a suitable board there this week. Always wanted a Osage Orange bow of Native American design and an English, Yew longbow 😏.
I enjoy Clay Hayes videos also. Check out Dan Santana bow making- very knowledgeable.
Have a blessed day!
I’m thinking of doing the same, there’s a old Norman church near here at Bishopstone and the Yew tree in the graveyard is ancient and has many perfect branches for the making of a traditional English long bow. I’m not sure if my given right as a Englishman to harvest a stave still exists in law but I’m going to politely ask the Vicar and make a donation to the church of course in the hope that I’ll be allowed to cut one. I’ll need to study up on the making of a horn nock and apparently buffalo horn is best but they are available ready made.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thanks Birddog. It is a rather large pipe and requires time set aside to enjoy it. I haven't been able to find another example to help date the pipe. The bowl is briar and the rest of the pipe is a gutta percha mold. The only marking is KB&B. From what I've been able to gather, gutta percha was banned for most uses in the early 20th century in order to save the trees the material is derived from.

The KB&B logo with the ampersand in the clover disappeared in the 1930s, so our gigantic Gutta-percha pipes (I have a smooth bowl) could be from then or earlier.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Just got in from another walk with WeeBay and the ODF/Anniversary Kake mix which will henceforth be known as Dark Annie. Legend has it that if you say the name three times while looking in the mirror and smoking a pipe your pipes will be forever ghosted and your tongue forever bitten 😳.
Having a chai and thinking of starting the Killing Eve marathon again. Jodie Comer can assassinate me any day. image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.