PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
We are currently dealing with some black bear issues. Last Fall our local DEC released a nuance bear near our property. He is double tagged, so this is his second time caught and released, next time he is reported, hes done for.
We have a lot of food sources on our property, so hes been hanging around.
My dogs have kept him away by chasing away several times. We are very rural so he isnt bothering anyone else I know of. Just seen him yesterday eyeing me while I was smoking a pipe. He is not the first, nor will he be the last. We have many attractions for bears here and there are a lot of bears.
We have an apple orchard, blueberries, raspberries, honey bees, elder berries, pear trees, chickens, other birds and ponds full of fish. This Spring he will learn, or he will be a lost cause. We will do EVERYTHING to keep him alive, but it’s up to him.
That sounds familiar. It is probably less rural here than you are. I don’t think we’d have tagged problem bears released so close.

My property backs onto a large section of forest where the bears come out of on well established paths. In the fall they come to feast on the wild apples growing all over the place.

What makes the bears around here a problem is that some people in my neighbourhood leave garbage outside their houses waiting for the pickup day and the bears are drawn to that as an easy food source. I’d say it’s more of a human caused problem here than the wildlife’s fault.

Your property sounds like pure heaven for a black bear. If it unfortunately comes to the bear meeting an untimely demise, then it may just wake up in the exact same place in its afterlife with the addition of a flourishing apiary.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
2000 Elizabethan in my Castello bent bulldog.

IMG-1233.png

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
After an arduous week of one ranch chore after another, I'm all showered off, and preparing to go out on the deck and enjoy the sunset with wifey, a glass of red wine, and a bowl of Ashton Winding Road in a La Rocca Due bent billiard. Relieved to have this week in the rearview mirror.

Bird report: California quail, California towhee, California scrub-jay, Dark-eyed junco, House finch, Mountain chickadee, Common raven, Oak titmouse, and Steller's jay.

Baked salmon, roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, and an inevitable transition to white wine await. Shabbat shalom!

la rocca.jpg

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A third of a bowl left of this bowl of Ken Byron Ventures Mr. Christian’s Brown Flek 2021 in a 1984 smooth brown full bend Peterson Mark Twain military mount egg with a silver cap and tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Here's a few pics of one of the orange tabbies, who is still by my side, although the shy one and long tail are, too. It's a tight squeeze, and they are laying on each other.
Peterson_MarkTwain_Smooth.jpg
OTLapSpread2.jpg
OTClose2.jpg
OTBelly1.jpg
2OT&LT1.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am a third of the way through this bowl of year 2013 Stonehaven in a straight black sandblasted 1957 Barling Exel 249 Fossil T.V.F. black billiard with a silver banded military mount and a black ebonite tapered stem.
Barling_249.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.