PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Had a pinch of Carolina red flake left over from yesterday that I left for crispy and decided to break up the English marathon to work on a better build up in bottom of a new pipe. Perfect snack for trip to farm store and grocery.

I’m intrigued by the sour/tart I’m getting… it’s rather pronounced and I’m determined to label the flavor ?. Has a familiar taste I’m not pinpointing. What comes to mind is something I don’t like…but I like the flavor I’m getting which is why I don’t think it’s right. But, with the sour/tart is a creaminess that makes it seem like raspberry sorbet/ice cream. Especially the rainbow “sherbert” with three flavors. Fine - I’m a weirdo…but also curious if anyone else getting that creamy tart/sour thing and what you’d label it as…? It’s kinda driving me nuts.

I love C&D Carolina Red, I think it’s an amazing blend, that any VA smoker might enjoy.

For flavors, I experience these;
Bread
Floral sweet
Floral - earthy/grassy
Citrus
Raisins/Plum

All these as sweet, tart, tangy and creamy.

I mentioned this before, for me personally, any blend I try to keep lit, the taste is just bad. I also smoke this straight from the tin, or 10 minutes dry time, then I barely light it, and sip very small and slow like a wine taster, then let the pipe go out and cool down, and repeat, and I experience all these flavors and nuances.

Everyone always talks about keeping a pipe lit, for me the greatest tastes I always experience with tobacco is in barely lighting the tobacco just for a few sips for maybe 1-2 mins. then letting it go out, cool down, and light over.

Aloha! ?

Last edited:

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
For my final stunt with English today, I’ve selected Quiet Nights. Truly enjoy this blend and ranks among my favorites in the genre to date. And, since it was an English run today, I only had partial bowls to avoid burnout and Lat mouth/nostrils…?. But, Quiet Nights gets the full bowl treatment.

Trash is out, dishwasher running, kids in bed, and the wife is also turned in for the evening, and my bowls for the drives to and from work are prepped and ready to pack in the a.m., so….

Someone queue up The Dave Brubeck Quartet - it’s dad time in the garage to close out the weekend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken and green beans dinner with the last slice of chocolate cake for dessert. Just finished smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of 1920s Buckingham Cut Plug Smoking Tobacco in a smooth brown medium bend early 1900s C.P.F. The Chesterfield (Peterson copy) French briar military mount billiard with a nickel cap and black vulcanite AB p-lip stem.
Chesterfield_Bent BilliardMM_AB.jpg

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I love C&D Carolina Red, I think it’s an amazing blend, that any VA smoker might enjoy.

For flavors, I experience these;
Bread
Floral sweet
Floral - earthy/grassy
Citrus
Raisins/Plum

All these as sweet, tart, tangy and creamy.

I mentioned this before, for me personally, any blend I try to keep lit, the taste is just bad. I also smoke this straight from the tin, or 10 minutes dry time, then I barely light it, and sip very small and slow like a wine taster, then let the pipe go out and cool down, and repeat, and I experience all these flavors and nuances.

Everyone always talks about keeping a pipe lit, for me the greatest tastes I always experience with tobacco is in barely lighting the tobacco just for a few sips for maybe 1-2 mins. then letting it go out, cool down, and light over.

Aloha! ?
Sounds like you live by an island lifestyle. And for the flavor, I’ve got another bowl’s worth ready for tomorrow. I’m reading other’s reviews seeing what I can find. But, there is a distinct something for me - could be a combo of flavors I need to separate. Regardless, identifying what I’m getting is part of the fun ?.

Where you find the flavor is all that matters. It’s different for everyone. Don’t they have competitions for who an keep a bowl lit the longest off two matches and 3 grams of tobacco? I’d fail before lighting because I know I’m not putting 3 grams in my pipes to fill them up!

I enjoy reading the wealth of experience here…but, have to admit I have tried some of the things people say and all I can think sometimes is “I’m glad they enjoy it this way…?‍♂️“. Now, where did my bad habits go…?