PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Noah (2014) on Amazon Prime.
"Inspired by a Biblical story" is how the movie is described. Inspired in this case means they used the names of the characters and the basic premise of the Ark covenant outlined in Genesis. The action is lacking. The special effects are lackluster. Quite frankly, a colossal Charlie Foxtrot that not even Jennifer Connelly's epic hotness could save. I didn't expect a Biblical exposition, but I hoped for way better than I got. (2/5*)
1666233012715.png

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Currently rewatching The Crown mostly because my father had not seen it. I loved it. Although the creator is a republican (the British kind not the American) and it shows so much it is well acted and written. Just bring a salt lick as even though it is not true to what happened per se they don't tell you that. It leads to interesting discussions with people that believe it to be cut out of whole cloth. Then again I had to show a student a picture of George Washington as she thought he was black due to her watching the filmed version of Hamilton. I weep for the future.

• Sad
Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Noah (2014) on Amazon Prime.
"Inspired by a Biblical story" is how the movie is described. Inspired in this case means they used the names of the characters and the basic premise of the Ark covenant outlined in Genesis. The action is lacking. The special effects are lackluster. Quite frankly, a colossal Charlie Foxtrot that not even Jennifer Connelly's epic hotness could save. I didn't expect a Biblical exposition, but I hoped for way better than I got. (2/5*)
View attachment 176129
The director, Darren Aronofsky, keeps getting excellent stories but turning them into garbage. At his best, he is mediocre. For some of these directors I wonder what in the hell kinda dirt they have on producers to keep getting jobs.

Reactions: Streeper541

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Babylon Berlin 5/5

Season 4 has just started, and it's into the 1930's now.

Very interesting show, and quite pretty as well. Highly recommended.

If there is an option, I'd opt for subtitles rather than an English dub. The actors are first rate.
Amazing series! Been waiting for season 4

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
"Ron Carter - Finding the Right Notes" was on PBS last night. A documentary about the life and music of the living legend jazz bassist. I thoroughly enjoyed it . . . . seemingly a gentle soul but driven by his music. I was a little disappointed there wasn't more background, wasn't more pure performance and a lot of the film was relatively current and kind of following him around a bit, but there may not be a lot of him on film from decades back to use. So, I'm giving it 4/5 * - it was great but I think could have been even better. Still worth a watch and probably accessible on PBS online to watch for free.
AC77E4E4-FFE2-44CC-BB22-E0EA33DA093B_4_5005_c.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

dadbobcat77

Lurker
Oct 1, 2022
if there's any other gearheads or petrol heads here, there's a neat new show on Motortrend called Roadworthy Rescues. it's basically a made for tv version of Vicegrip Garage that's on youtube. best part, both shows are written by and star the same guy.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
PIG - on Hulu starring Nicolas Cage.
2021, Drama/Mystery & thriller. I rate it 3/5.

A truffle-hunter who lives alone in the Oregon wilderness and must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.

1666529789650.png
1666529868560.png1666530185263.png

Watched the documentary, Booksellers, on Hulu last night. Pretty good, entertaining, and informative. I loved hearing how books have and will survive, and that the eBook thing is dying out. The 40ish generation was the eBook consumer, and the younger and older generation seems to have revived the actual book.
Lots of mention and showing pipesmokers, as most dealers of books were also pipe smokers also.
5/5 stars.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Last night we watched No Exit on Hulu. I rate it 3/5.

During a blizzard and stranded at an isolated highway rest stop in the mountains, a college student discovers a kidnapped child hidden in a van belonging to one of the people inside.

Dennis Haysbert stars as one of the stranded visitors. Not once did he try to sell anyone Allstate insurance. Haha

There's a scene that involves a nail gun...my wife had to look away.
Er, I, ah, take it that it's not based on Sartre's No Exit (Huis clos)!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Watched "A Private Affair" on Prime. Couldn't tell for sure if it was French, or Spanish, or Italian, or Portuguese. It's English dubbed so no problem there. Set in the early fifties and was about a woman who couldn't investigate crimes because she was female despite being the daughter of the late police commissioner. Anyway, it has eight chapters each of which lasted an hour. She is ably assisted by her butler (Jean Reno) and it has a kind of "Perils of Pauline" vibe to it. Found it very good. The mystery was about a serial killer who was killing prostitutes from the same whorehouse.

5/5

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Status
Not open for further replies.