PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
OIP.jpg

I've been watching Tulsa King. Now, I'm not really a big Sly fan, and his acting job in his first TV series is about what you would expect, BUT there's something about seeing him as a Mob guy that really plays well, and different...
The supporting cast, story and episodes are very good.
It's worth watching in my book. 5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
View attachment 191026

I've been watching Tulsa King. Now, I'm not really a big Sly fan, and his acting job in his first TV series is about what you would expect, BUT there's something about seeing him as a Mob guy that really plays well, and different...
I was also surprised to find this works pretty well. It's a little hokey at times, but when it's good, it is a fun watch.

Reactions: monty55

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Kitsch-y for its genre (which I'll categorize broadly as the Indiana Jones genre), pulling out trope after predictable trope; BUT, that's a fault only the sense that a Hershey bar is a fault in comparison to fine cuisine -- sometimes you just want a Hershey bar.

The writers had more ideas than time, and so rattled off scenes rapid-fire in a way that's almost laughable in hindsight. You're left with many individual trees and no forest.

If you're well read and intelligent, you might find the pseudo-academic posturing of the film insulting. What is presented as cerebral is in fact 7th grade LARPing.

But that's par for this course, really. Far more embarrassing is the pathetically over-acted relational drama. It would gag a maggot.

For all my criticism, though, there's nothing wrong with satisfying a hankering for low brow, adventurous esoterica. For that, it's a 3/5. But as a film, it's 1/5.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just finished a new Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special on Britbox. Rude, crude, and hilarious! 5 out of 5.
After your post I decide to check out Mrs. Brown's Boys. I'm half way through season 2 and I'm loving it. I like that it's before a live audience. In one episode Brendan O'Carroll (Agnes Brown) screwed up one of his lines and he and the actress in the scene with him started laughing. They composed themselves and continued with the scene. I rate Mrs. Brown's Boys 5/5.

This show is really good once you know the characters.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After your post I decide to check out Mrs. Brown's Boys. I'm half way through season 2 and I'm loving it. I like that it's before a live audience. In one episode Brendan O'Carroll (Agnes Brown) screwed up one of his lines and he and the actress in the scene with him started laughing. They composed themselves and continued with the scene. I rate Mrs. Brown's Boys 5/5.

This show is really good once you know the characters.
I really like that they don't acknowledge the "fourth wall". Keep watching...

Reactions: scloyd

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Just finished watching The Larry Sanders Show.

Originally on HBO between 1992 and 1998. Not a weak episode in the whole run. Some of the funniest television ever. Rip Torn was brilliant. So many great characters.

5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
View attachment 191026

I haven't delved into this due solely to the lead actor. But with this recommendation, I'll give it a go! Thank you.

And, new thread started for 2023. Similar title, similar format. Enjoy!

Reactions: scloyd and monty55

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I randomly recorded "The Automat" on TCM a few weeks ago. It is a documentary on the old Horn and Hardart nickel cafeterias that were in NYC and Philly for decades. A few years ago, taking in a NYC Pipe Club meeting, I was near the NYC Public Library and they had an exhibit on the Automat chain, of which to that point, I've never heard of. The doc is very good, with some amazing cameos, highly recommended. I believe it is also now on Amazon Prime.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I randomly recorded "The Automat" on TCM a few weeks ago. It is a documentary on the old Horn and Hardart nickel cafeterias that were in NYC and Philly for decades. A few years ago, taking in a NYC Pipe Club meeting, I was near the NYC Public Library and they had an exhibit on the Automat chain, of which to that point, I've never heard of. The doc is very good, with some amazing cameos, highly recommended. I believe it is also now on Amazon Prime.

This documentary is available on HBO MAX for free and it can be rented on Prime for $1.99.

I watched this and it was very good. I rate it 5/5.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Kitsch-y for its genre (which I'll categorize broadly as the Indiana Jones genre), pulling out trope after predictable trope; BUT, that's a fault only the sense that a Hershey bar is a fault in comparison to fine cuisine -- sometimes you just want a Hershey bar.

The writers had more ideas than time, and so rattled off scenes rapid-fire in a way that's almost laughable in hindsight. You're left with many individual trees and no forest.

If you're well read and intelligent, you might find the pseudo-academic posturing of the film insulting. What is presented as cerebral is in fact 7th grade LARPing.

But that's par for this course, really. Far more embarrassing is the pathetically over-acted relational drama. It would gag a maggot.

For all my criticism, though, there's nothing wrong with satisfying a hankering for low brow, adventurous esoterica. For that, it's a 3/5. But as a film, it's 1/5.
That's a good critique...I concur. The first one was much better...as is usually the case.

Reactions: SBC
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

This documentary is available on HBO MAX for free and it can be rented on Prime for $1.99.

I watched this and it was very good. I rate it 5/5.
We just finished watching this and enjoyed it (Susan gives it “a 4 or 3,” I’m sentimental and lean towards 4 or 5). I had no idea Horn & Hardart started out in Philadelphia.

My father used to work for a design firm called Sukon, in the Grand Central area—I remember eating at the Automat on 42nd & 3rd Avenue, but, not what I had—probably a sandwich.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Last of Us - continues to be excellent. Great writing and story line. I typically hate CGI special effects, in this show it's done sparingly and very well done. I'm not a video game guy, so I didn't pay attention when it came out, my daughter said I would enjoy it. Definitely a different take on a post-apocolyiptic world. 5/5 for sure.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
The Last of Us - continues to be excellent. Great writing and story line. I typically hate CGI special effects, in this show it's done sparingly and very well done. I'm not a video game guy, so I didn't pay attention when it came out, my daughter said I would enjoy it. Definitely a different take on a post-apocolyiptic world. 5/5 for sure.

The game is fantastic the show is doing a good job of sticking to the original story from the game too. It Is different compared to a Resident Evil type game

Reactions: ssjones

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Just watched the trailer for the new Christopher Nolan movie "Oppenheimer" which stars Cillian Murphy.
The film focuses on his work on the Manhattan Project.
Looks good.

Trailer:
If this looks good to you try Manhattan. its about the development of the bimb. Came out several years ago. 5/5, phenomenal. You can probably watch it on Amazon.

1676336646411.png

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not sure elsewhere, but this Saturday night on PBS will be a Doobie Brothers special including some original members and Michael McDonald and a George Harrison Tribute concert from many years ago. My Saturday night is planned!

Status
Not open for further replies.