With a taste of Brandy...
qmxrE4V.jpg

WG3b3eM.jpg
?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Punch "Mantua", I try it after about 3 years and it is on the right path, a little slowly I must say, but it will get there
View attachment 126897
View attachment 126899

I wonder if this is common across Italia RE. Both La Escepcion RE took/are taking a while to come around. Perhaps they choose blends that are more like classic Habanos and need serious time to open up?

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
I wonder if this is common across Italia RE. Both La Escepcion RE took/are taking a while to come around. Perhaps they choose blends that are more like classic Habanos and need serious time to open up?
Good question ... Since they have centralized everything and the typicality of brands has fallen, it is difficult to place bets.
The Selectos Fino '11, a great cigar, already had the right cards from the beginning, the same for the Ramon Allones Short Perfectos' 14.
Even after some years, Don José '15 never blossomed, after all it was already weak and anonymous when fresh, even the high price for that format to its detriment. The Invictos of LGC '17, grumpy with confused aromas, perhaps now some edges have rounded. The fresh ManTua already better, I hope that the time works in favor.
As can be seen, it is necessary to go back in time to grasp large centers, Punch Superfinos (2005/2008) Punch Diadema Extra (2008/2009) and the two mentioned above.
Certainly tobacco has changed, the pressing demand does not help, and the need to capitalize in a short time neither.
They are marketed too fresh, sometimes I even notice green in the tripa and ammonia scents, the time of seasoning in the warehouses has contracted.
I take for example two sacred monsters, Monte # 4 and Party D4, for a few years they have been unrecognizable, only lately they are trying to bring them to the old glory, but this takes time and steady money.
Like the software houses, they sell immediately and let users do the testers, so Habanos lets you season them, even if someone who buys it is legitimate to expect a product that can be smoked immediately, and unfortunately in the event of a flop here there are no updates. .

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
Any European folks have any opinions about El Septimo? They're starting to sell stateside, the owner set up shop at a cigar lounge last week. Costa Rican puros. Well constructed, no visible seams really, nice cap. Really boring smoke for me, no transitions to speak of, pleasant enough, nice Mineral taste, hint of sweetness. I dunno.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I've been slacking on my cigars so I pulled the largest NC I have, Oliva G Churchill. Like a oversized chocolate bar.

IMG_20220207_223436.jpg

You guys are killing me showing those Wonderfull aged habanos @pantsBoots @Ag®o ! I have one B&M which gets aged stock regularly, I'll give him a call to check if he still has some those no. 4, I think they where '14 or' 15. Downside is he stores them with his other stock at like 70rh.... Takes a while to get them to my preferred sub 60 smoking rh...

@onestrangeone hi Nathan ?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I've been slacking on my cigars so I pulled the largest NC I have, Oliva G Churchill. Like a oversized chocolate bar.

View attachment 126975

You guys are killing me showing those Wonderfull aged habanos @pantsBoots @Ag®o ! I have one B&M which gets aged stock regularly, I'll give him a call to check if he still has some those no. 4, I think they where '14 or' 15. Downside is he stores them with his other stock at like 70rh.... Takes a while to get them to my preferred sub 60 smoking rh...

@onestrangeone hi Nathan ?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm stateside, so I don't have the luxury of perusing Habanos on the shelves. All I've got are the latest overhyped boutique brands bragging about their "Cuban seed" tobacco that never ends up tasting Cuban in the slightest. :LOL:

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
If it makes you feel any better, I'm stateside, so I don't have the luxury of perusing Habanos on the shelves. All I've got are the latest overhyped boutique brands bragging about their "Cuban seed" tobacco that never ends up tasting Cuban in the slightest. :LOL:
Yeah that's the upside on living in Europe! But the downside is I don't get my grubby hands on some of the boutique blends. "Cubanesque" cigars I try to avoid as I can get real cubans, but what approaches it the most is the Don Pepin black labeled cigars from My Father. First inch is peppery, but really slows down after a inch and to me is a good take on a NC tasting as a Cuban.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yeah that's the upside on living in Europe! But the downside is I don't get my grubby hands on some of the boutique blends. "Cubanesque" cigars I try to avoid as I can get real cubans, but what approaches it the most is the Don Pepin black labeled cigars from My Father. First inch is peppery, but really slows down after a inch and to me is a good take on a NC tasting as a Cuban.

I remember those black label "Cuban Classic" cigars by DPG! Back then, they were being rolled in Miami and reminded me in passing of a nutty Partagas Serie D. I went back and tried a couple of them in the last couple years and they didn't bring the same experience I had remembered. I know tobacco strains change over time - wonder if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.