PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Neerup pipes don't seem terribly expensive and from what I have gathered, they are well made and typically smoke well. Some folks say they are a good value.
I was wondering what you might think about Neerup's $80-$200 pipes? What should I expect in terms of fit and finish and smoking quality?
-G

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought this one for around $100. It smokes well -- no complaints about that. Overall, nice construction and workmanship.

Only two downsides:
  • It looks "front-heavy" and unbalanced, but it feels OK (because, I think, the double curve of the stem & shank compensate.)

It is fairly difficult to pass a thick, bristle type pipe cleaner through the stem; so on those occasions when it won't go in I have to disassemble it to clean it. The draw is nice and open, however.

neerup-left.jpg

neerup-back.jpg

Reactions: Tommy Boy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard nothing but praise; Neerup's seem to be great value for the dollar. I've shopped many a time, but I can't quite click with the big round bowl on the thin curvaceous stem.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I've got one. The grain an interesting birds eye with a lucite stem. The bowl is immense, both broad and deep. It smokes fine, but I need to dedicate a big block of time if I want to work through a serving.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Neerups are great! I have two: a basic bent Brandy 3, and a 4th Genration 1931 that was made by Peder Jeppesen also. The 4th gen would be a 4 in chamber sizes. Anyway, the bent Brandy is great with VaPers and flakes. The 4th Gen took to squadron Leader like a fish to water. These pipes are fairly light for their size, and IMHO a great pipe for the money.

5196EB4D-A55B-44E4-B3CF-5F40A94283A4_zpswtdnbxzq.jpg

4th Generation 1931

Reactions: SpookedPiper

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
002-203-1923.jpg

I bought a structure similar to this pipe, it smokes wonderful, but is a bit heavy to clench. The wide bit makes it do-able for a while.
Broke in fast, but wont pass a fat cleaner. The tenon fit is very tight. the draw is wonderful.
Finish is really nice, and the bit is comfortable.
I'd spend $125.00 again for sure.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Wanted to revive this thread. I will be having some extra money to spend and love some of their shapes. Anyone have one that is a bad smoker? Any complaints?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have 4, and they all smoke great. 3 vents and one straight. They are a bit heavy to clench for long periods, but great pipes all around.

Jun 23, 2019
Wanted to revive this thread. I will be having some extra money to spend and love some of their shapes. Anyone have one that is a bad smoker? Any complaints?

I picked one up because of the novelty fish and reel but it quickly became my favorite pipe. Excellent smoker and it fits in the hand so beautifully, holds a massive bowl too!

sREc7rxl.jpg

Reactions: danimalia

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
I picked up a bent apple about a month ago and love the large bowl and aesthetics. I can note that a pipe cleaner fits through without any hangups. Mine is a smooth glossy finish over some nice looking grain, no issues there. As for smokability (is that a word?) it's been nothing but pleasurable thus far. For $135 I was quite pleased. I will also add that I do plan to pickup another Neerup down the road simetime. Happy hunting!

Last edited:

philipa4

Might Stick Around
Mar 11, 2018
I have almost picked one up a few times but have yet to smoke one. I think they look fantastic for the money though!

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I've been SOOOO tempted a number of times, but always ended up with another brand!
They look awesome!

Reactions: danimalia

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
So, I just purchased a:
Neerup: P. Jeppesen Handmade Ida Easy Cut Smooth Tomato (5)

Could anyone elaborate a bit on the grading system for Neerup's pipes please? Thanks a bunch!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore