PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
The slowest smoking tobacco that I've ever smoked was a bowl of Saint James Flake, which rubbed out lasted more than 80 minutes, while my ordinary rubbed out bowls usually last less than an hour. I'm looking for more delicious slow smoking tobaccos, so: What is your slowest smoking tobacco?

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Isn't that the more compressed tobacco the longer it smokes? Have you tried some plugs or twists? I like my tobacco just like my... excuse me. I like my tobacco chunky not rubbed out and it smokes quite long...

Reactions: Chasing Embers

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Isn't that the more compressed tobacco the longer it smokes? Have you tried some plugs or twists? I like my tobacco just like my... excuse me. I like my tobacco chunky not rubbed out and it smokes quite long...
I've never tried a plug or twist. Maybe there is something with how compressed it is, but some tobaccos just burn faster or slower. Even my fold and stuffs don't last as long as the Saint James Flake did.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
I found it easier to stuff bowl with folded flake than with ready rubbed. Even If you push it very hard there are always enough air pockets to keep it lit.

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Burley is known for burning slow and cool, I guess because of lower sugar content (?) I rarely smoke flakes or plugs but if I was looking for a slow burner I’d experiment with uncased or lightly cased burley flakes. I get fairly long smokes even out of burley ribbon cut

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ironically, I discovered this when I was trying to catch a quick smoke during an intermission at a Bluegrass concert, smoking PS Luxury Navy Flake in an extra small MM cob. Suddenly I discovered the bowl was going to go for about an hour. I snuffed it and finished it later.

In general, I don't pay much attention to how long a bowl lasts. I like to go into a sort of timeless zone smoking a pipe where nothing happens quickly and nothing happens slowly, the eternal present. Maybe not quite that mystical, but yes.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
All those relights add to the wall time, amirite?
Very true :)

Ironically, I discovered this when I was trying to catch a quick smoke during an intermission at a Bluegrass concert, smoking PS Luxury Navy Flake in an extra small MM cob. Suddenly I discovered the bowl was going to go for about an hour. I snuffed it and finished it later.

In general, I don't pay much attention to how long a bowl lasts. I like to go into a sort of timeless zone smoking a pipe where nothing happens quickly and nothing happens slowly, the eternal present. Maybe not quite that mystical, but yes.
What a wonderful feeling that would be. I really should not worry about this, but there is something special about being able to nurse a bowl over a really long period.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
80 min isn't all that long. Good time, I'm sure. But you can drag it out. How long I smoke depends on how I feel and how the tobacco is prepared. Flakes fold and stuffed usually last longer than ribbon cut. Shag cut usually burns up pretty fast compared to others. Plug, rope and twist, you'll have to slice which in turn sort of like flakes/coins. Cakes can be crumbled and they do last good length for me. Rolled cakes are more like coins. Stack, fold and stuff.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
Fold and stuff some MacBaren HH Burley Flake and I'm looking at an hour and a half of smoke. Minimum. And I suspect I smoke faster than most.