PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
A strange phenomena suddenly became apparent to me the other day.
I have been smoking pipes off and on since my mid-twenties and I'm now 60. Over the years I have collected a fair number of pipes; most of which are the average inexpensive off the rack pipes, some are even basket special pipes, and I do have a few that would be classified as being expensive pipes. I even have a few pipes that I have made myself over the years.
But have you ever noticed certain characteristics in your personal actions when you are not really consciously thinking about things as you go about your daily routine. Specifically, it came to light for me the other day when reaching for a pipe off the rack. It suddenly became apparent that I tend to reach for the same pipe the majority of the time and I began to wonder why. Without even thinking...the pipe I tend to reach for most is not my most expensive London made billiard with vulcanite stem, not any of my light weight dry smoking meerschaum's, or wildly sculpted free-hands. I was almost shocked to discover that what I have been mindlessly reaching for was a medium sized, dublin shape that I had crafted in my shop several years ago. I made it out of a scrap piece of rosewood using a three dollar acrylic stem. I have smoked it so much that that it has developed a nice even cake, it has a generous sized bowl, is very light weight in the teeth, holds well in the hand and has thick enough walls to make for a cool smoke.

Before loading it up....I sat there nearly stunned wondering how this (what would be considered abomination to the pipe world) could have possibly made its way to becoming something I would, without thinking, reach for 75% of the time. It had become like a comfortable pair of old bedroom slippers. Ugly as an old sock, but for reasons it would take a psychiatrist to figure out I suppose....it became an old friend.
Harkpuff

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
YUP. I agree with you mate. I smoke one pipe in particular about 4 times a day, every day. I never was a big believer on the rotation business and have had only 1 burn out in 16 yrs. A favorite pipe is more joy to smoke than have sit in the rack.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Agreed. I call mine Ole Trusty. It was a handme down from my grandfather. Perfect amount of cake. Ll i have ever done is pipe clean it with alcohal and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel. No ghosting either. I can smoke any thing in it.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have my favorite, Then PAD hits and I buy another. The new addition will be the favorite for a while but I always go back. It just fits my hand I guess.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
If I could figure out why I like the pipes I do, I'd have Carl add a Pipe Selection Advice section to his Pipe Smoker Unleashed software. Or write a book or something. It's like shirts, some of them are just comfy, and we tend to wear them long after they are not fit to be seen in public. It's definitely not based on how much they cost.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I like the shirt metaphor. :D
My favorite pipe suits me just right. I can clench it, hold it, smoke it several times a day and just love it. It's styling fits whaatever I'm wearing and I'm starting to wear the stain off where I hold it just like my favorite jeans have worn spots. It's the pipe I never packed while moving because I need it with me. I am at peace with it and the only time I have to fight with it is when I'm deep cleaning it and have to get the stem out so it gets a few minutes in the freezer.
Other pipes come and go, but this one is my best friend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My favorites are crusty estates that I have sweat and toil invested in making them look good again. Restoring an old soldier gives me a certain level of satisfaction that my new-purchase pipes can't match.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I have a few favorites and I tend to stick with them. As of late, I have been thinking that eventually the ones I don't smoke, I'll be selling rather than just having them sit on the rack. If I love the way it feels, smokes and looks, I keep coming back for more.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I love estate pipes, and find more joy in restoring, and smoking them then in purchasing new pipes. However I think what makes a pipe a favorite to me is experiences while smoking the pipe. I have one Peterson that I always take fishing, and I love that pipe. It just fits my mouth well, and has been with me on some great trips. It is a cheaper pipe, an Aran, but it just fits into my vest, and is never left behind. I guess it's my favorite because I have never been let down when enjoying it on a spring day casting for trout.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
The shape and the feel of it, along with alluring visual aspects. Like this:

indexCAKJ7I3E.png

Status
Not open for further replies.