PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I am an older, retired guy and about 6 months ago got intrigued with the idea of pipe smoking. I was drawn to the slow, contemplative nature of the hobby and the link with the past. When I First became interested I didn’t say anything to my wife, because I didn’t want to ruffle feathers if it was simply a passing interest, In the last six months, I have bought numerous estate pipes, and experiment with all kinds of tobacco. I average 6 to 8 bowls a day so it’s safe to say that smoking isn’t going anywhere. It’s a great hobby and lifestyle. A few months ago, I decided that it was time for me and the Mrs. to have a conversation. I expected her to be concerned about the health implications. I actually expected aa bit anger and concerned about the health implications. I actually expected a good bit of kickback.
to my amazement I got none of that. She seemed intrigued, and was glad I found something that I enjoyed so much. She has gone too many antique stores with me as I look for estate pipes And in general, she enjoys the smell of a pipe and will often talk to me about the room, note, etc.. I am careful to be considerate, and I don’t smoke in the house. However, if we are on a walk or sitting on the porch I don’t hesitate to light up.
i’m curious what your partner thinks about your pipe smoking?

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
You lucked out there. I've been smoking cigars and pipes for many years, but it's a progressive thing. When i was younger it was more occasional but became more frequent as i aged and took more time to slow it down and smell the latakia, so to speak. At this point i built her a large house and myself a 1200SF shop. Wound up finishing a full bath out here (shower too!), then adding a smoking lounge in a 15x15 area, complete with fridge, large tower humidor, shelving for tobacco, a storage space for a modest collection of smoking paraphernalia, whisky storage, TV, stereo, etc. As it turns out i don't remember what she thinks...and the pictures remind me of what she looked like last time i saw her. My new motto: "clean pipes, happy life." 😄

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
A few months ago, I decided that it was time for me and the Mrs. to have a conversation. I expected her to be concerned about the health implications. I actually expected aa bit anger and concerned about the health implications. I actually expected a good bit of kickback.
to my amazement I got none of that. She seemed intrigued, and was glad I found something that I enjoyed so much.
Your life insurance must be in good order. ;)

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
This...Virginias are welcome in the house. Latakia is embraced for smelling like a wood fire, but only if it's outside.
Yeah I get a warm reaction to Virginias. Just a comment like, you smell like cigarettes. Not the visceral reaction of strong Latakia. I said Cigarettes? Not these days. Maybe back in the 70s but now cigs don't have that great of tobacco flavor as a good Virginia as I see it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am an older, retired guy and about 6 months ago got intrigued with the idea of pipe smoking. I was drawn to the slow, contemplative nature of the hobby and the link with the past. When I First became interested I didn’t say anything to my wife, because I didn’t want to ruffle feathers if it was simply a passing interest, In the last six months, I have bought numerous estate pipes, and experiment with all kinds of tobacco. I average 6 to 8 bowls a day so it’s safe to say that smoking isn’t going anywhere. It’s a great hobby and lifestyle. A few months ago, I decided that it was time for me and the Mrs. to have a conversation. I expected her to be concerned about the health implications. I actually expected aa bit anger and concerned about the health implications. I actually expected a good bit of kickback.
to my amazement I got none of that. She seemed intrigued, and was glad I found something that I enjoyed so much. She has gone too many antique stores with me as I look for estate pipes And in general, she enjoys the smell of a pipe and will often talk to me about the room, note, etc.. I am careful to be considerate, and I don’t smoke in the house. However, if we are on a walk or sitting on the porch I don’t hesitate to light up.
i’m curious what your partner thinks about your pipe smoking?
So you don't think your wife smelled the tobacco on you? The timing might be throwing me off but you started 6 months ago and told the wife a few months ago, to me a few is 5-6 or so that is my confusion, either way I'm guessing she smelled it on you long before you told her. All of that said congrats on finding a good one!