PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
As some of you may know, I won first place in the caption contest. I'm trying to decide what to break in my pipe with. Since the pipe holds special significance, I'm gonna crack open a new tin. I'm thinking either Frog Morton's Cellar from January 2012, Old Dark Fired from July 2012, Pirate Kake from May 2010, Captain Earle's Mystic Blend from 2008, or Balkan Sasieni bought in January 2011.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most folks will go with a Burley for breaking in a pipe. I'm in the Virginia camp because of the greater sugar content.

The statement that some Perique improves any blend has been a big influence on me; and while that may be a sweeping

generalization, I do love Perique and have used a VaPer or Perique laden blend such as Haunted Bookshop on numerous

occasions hoping to ghost a pipe with Perique -- if that's even possible.
I have many pipes, all broken-in using various blends, and I couldn't say which pipe got which tobacco for the break-in.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I use only two tobaccos for this purpose, and simply for their ultra-predictable and consistent burning properties. Both are flakes and neither leaves a ghost. Because I know these tobaccos so well I also use them to "judge" a pipe, whether new or estate.
The first is Peterson's IF (widely available) the second is Bulwark, a fantastic old English slow-burning flake (available loose, and in bulk, from J N Barber in the UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.