PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Boswell’s Northwoods

It really loses its taste and somewhat loses its scen the longer it sits.

I stopped buying it because I can’t go through it fast enough with how often I smoke and it’s too expensive to buy one tin at a time.

Reactions: Ebarber

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I like every blend I buy fresh, but I like it even better after some age on it. The one exception is Latakia heavy tobacco blends like GLP Gaslight. I find it is much better fresh, as the Lat fades with time.

Reactions: Ebarber and JOHN72

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
i personally think the whole premise of aging something is pretty silly. tomorrow isnt guaranteed for anyone and the whole idea of put it away today because it will be better tomorrow has always just struck me as odd. im in it for the here and now and if i smoke a blend and it tastes good today then thats a solid blend for me. if a blend needs time to be good then to me its not as good a blend because frankly i and no one else has that kind of time.

that being said the stuff i open goes into a jar and therefore unintentionally ive started a cellar. just out of the simple fact i dont want any of it to dry out and go bad. everyone has their own way of treating the hobby and at the end of the day if u want to put stuff away to improve it then good on you i hope you get to reap those rewards.
I think maybe you're missing the point. Obviously, we love our blends fresh, right off the shelf, but the ones we cellar do get better with age as long as the tin stays sealed. More importantly, securing a lot of tins now, ensures that price increases, additional taxes, tobacco regulations, or our favorite blend going out of production will not affect us and our ability to enjoy what we like to smoke.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I think maybe you're missing the point. Obviously, we love our blends fresh, right off the shelf, but the ones we cellar do get better with age as long as the tin stays sealed. More importantly, securing a lot of tins now, ensures that price increases, additional taxes, tobacco regulations, or our favorite blend going out of production will not affect us and our ability to enjoy what we like to smoke.
its pretty clear lots of folks buy blends to age and improve them, i get that. i just dont do that. i stock up, sure, like everyone else and a byproduct of stocking up is the tins get some time on them since im not smoking through them that fast. but my intention isnt to do that purposely. i dont buy xyz blend like LBF for it to get better. if it sucks now im not going to waste my time when there's so much variety out there and not enough time to smoke it all. like i said in my post, do you brother!

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That doesn't make any sense. If you don't like it fresh, then how do you know you'll like it with age on it? Do you just ask people what you'll like?
Cos, are you referring to my post? I have a system where I would buy a test tin. I would smoke it a good bit to get a feel for it, then If I liked it I would cellar it deep. I did not mess around as I know blends can be discontinued any second i.e Rotary Navy Cut, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and others. I had the ability to buy in major quantities (50-100) tins at a shot. I got burned on the Three Nuns discontinued back in around 2000. I almost got screwed again when Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky came back on the market, I didn't trust Orlik so I did my test tin, loved it and then bought 100 tins in one shot. Shit was cheap at 7.01 per 50 gram tin. I got lucky when I went deep with Brigham Klondike Gold. I was in a battle with Peck on who could buy the most. I bought around 140-160 tins and he just laughed at me which meant that I was still a piker in comparison to him. He probably bought 200 plus.

Getting in a war with Peck is futile, he cannot be beat and if you try better be prepared to buy 250 tins plus. I also forgot I like the flavors of aged tobacco.. better than the flavors of fresh so I win on both counts.

Almost all of my stash consists of flakes, plugs and a rope and all of them are hard to find. I didn't mess around with blends that were not very popular.
It wasn't just your post, actually. But, I did notice that your wording left it open to be construed that you excluded things that were not popular, (or bought only based on popularity), but of course the irony would be that you said that your tins were all hard to find, ha ha. Popular and hard to find would conflict. But, I've actually seen your list... It was just wording.

For the first five or so years, I bought in 20 tin lots or 5 pound bulks, so that I could build up quickly. I knew that everything was smokable, so I just skipped the trial tin most of the time. This was before I tried lakelands or Mixture 79, ha ha.

I never saw a reason to get into a buying war with anyone. I just kept my trap shut until I hit at least 60 tins of something. But, I have reached my goal. Now, I only buy small batches and some things my tastes are leaning more towards now.

The majority of my cellar is over seven years old, many ten years old, and I just don't find enough of a difference to say that age makes that much of a difference. It does take the harshness off most blends after a couple of years, but sweeter? better? is debatable. YMMV

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cos,

My statement didn't come out right. I actually bought many popular blends but I said nothing until I had enough for the cellar. Once I was comfortable with my numbers, I let people know through my lists what I had been buying. Many of the blends I bought were not popular while some were very popular.
My competition with peck was the reason I kept my favorites to myself. He was the only one who was buying in 100 tin lots like I was so I had to watch out what I said. Peck threw me one bone, it was the Brigham Klondike Gold. I called him plenty of names for holding out on me. I was lucky to get around 150 plus tins . I hade given him 20 something names for his cellar. I was lucky I jumped on as many as I did as they were shortly discontinued.

Reactions: monty55

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you are talking about stuff you don't want to cellar I would say that would be stuff like Captain Monochromatic and all the various derivatives thereof. That stuff will outlast all of us easily.

Reactions: coys and JOHN72

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I mainly cellar for price and availability of blends I enjoy. That being said there are blends that improve and are magnificent aged. Some blends I believe are packaged too young and do benefit with age but that is just a bonus for me. Prices are skyrocketing on everything including tobacco and it is no secret tobacco is under assault by the anti's. I want to accumulate enough tobacco to ensure I can enjoy it if it gets to the point that I have a limited selection and it gets too expensive to enjoy on the regular.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
1. I view cellaring as stocking up on multiple tins or bulk for future use do you have it at the ready when you want it.
2. To me cellaring is not simply opening a singular tin and putting it in a jar for later…this is simply storage to me. ?‍♂️
3. I cellar ? I enjoy.
4. I do occasionally cellar a pound or so of a blend for aging. ☕

I don’t cellar English or many Aromatics.

Last edited:

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
1. I view cellaring as stocking up on multiple tins or bulk for future use do you have it at the ready when you want it.
2. To me cellaring is not simply opening a singular tin and putting it in a jar for later…this is simply storage to me. ?‍♂️
3. I cellar ? I enjoy.
4. I do occasionally cellar a pound or so of a blend for aging. ☕

I don’t cellar English or many Aromatics.
Is it a personal reason you don’t cellar English or Aros or a problem with the aging? My understanding is that some Aros don’t really change much.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Is it a personal reason you don’t cellar English or Aros or a problem with the aging? My understanding is that some Aros don’t really change much.
Personal taste. I no longer enjoy Latakia & when I do enjoy an “Aromatic “, I only grab a tin or 2 of it. And my experience agrees with your understanding regarding Aros…they will only likely become muted in flavor as time goes on. ?☕

Reactions: Salvaje

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I don't cellar virginia, latakia, perique, or cavendish tobaccos. They are gross. Only burley and burley/virginia blends (or Burva blends). That's right, I don't call them Vaburs....They are Burvas now.
Bahahahahaha…Burva’s it is!

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw