PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Every since i got that first f&t bulldog. It and the rodision (witch i spelled very badly.) Are my go to pipes. A gentleman (john Harding) matches 860 no longer with us. Got me on the 673 and I'm hooked
Deety

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
My first pipe i dont remember what it was. It took a swim in the lake. Just as far as i could throw it. It blistered my toung gave me a sore throat and wouldn't stay light. I still thought pipes were beautiful. A few weeks later i was in London. Went in a brick and mortar shop just to look. Talking with the owner he told what was doing wrong . sold me a pipe that he would buy back if i had a problem. 6 weeks later i was back and bought another. So the first pipes that i actually smoked were both F&T pipes

Deety

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Bought my first pipe in 2003 at the General Store at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. They had about 3 pipes in the shop. They were prob the last ones they ever sold bc tobacco products were fast disappearing from places like that back then. It was a miserable little pipe..I think it was shorter than 3 inches, badly stained and just said czech briar on it. Hard to believe I didn’t give up after trying Capt Black in that thing for a while.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
The very first was a cob when I was six because Tom Sawyer was a popular movie so all the cool kids had cobs. The next was in High School, a Mastercraft Zulu from the drugstore, Burned my tongue to a crisp on Cavendish aromatics (Sail Green?) and tossed it.
In college I had pipe smoking Profs to learn from(many of them still smoked tobacco then), and the Tinderbox at the Mall and Benederet's in San Francisco. My Briars were up graded---a pair of British made factory second Bulldogs one smooth and straight, the other a rustic 1/4 bent which the sales clerk at Benederet's took a pair of pliers to extracted a stinger commenting that a young man like yourself has no need of these diabolical things.
Happy times!
The best advice I got was to slow down, try bulk blends, frequent a real tobacconist and ask lots of questions

PiedmontPipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2022
I bought an Italian bent apple ”basket pipe” for a $25, which I thought to be a lot of money being in college in 1991. Unfortunately, I lost it in a move. Despite preferring the looks of shiny Canadians and the more sleek billiards, I still find that and similar shapes to be most comfortable: dress pants vs old jeans.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Mine was a corn cob pipe that a friend and I bought at a cvs in the mall. I remember we bought a huge bag of cherry tobacco with it. My dad taught us how to pack and smoke. He smoked cigarettes but loved the smell of pipe tobacco so he wasn’t upset his high school aged son was smoking a pipe.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Going through my discarded pipe box. Seeing what i could salvage. I came up with a question for the pipe experts. Whats the difference between a custom and a artisan pipe

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My first pipe purchase was for a lot of 14 estates, at an antique store.
There were a couple Ascortis, a couple Savs, a couple Petersons, a Comoys, etc.

When money was tight, a couple years later, I sold most of them off. The last few were later given away to friends. I don't have any left from that original batch (which I somewhat regret).