PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a new pipesman and I was wondering if you guys can provide some insight on the coolest smoking materials and shapes? If anyone has specific models that would be awesome too.
That one is all up to your technique. They'll all smoke hot until you get packing and smoking cadence down. A pipe will not correct lack of experience.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
One with a removable meerschaum bowl. Highly recommended for ease of cleaning out the gourd chamber.
Only disadvantage is the small chamber size
These come up frequently on EBay
View attachment 305205

One with fixed chamber.
Looks great with the metal rim, but not at all practical
View attachment 305206
Yeah but the price they go for is out of my salary range. Couldn't justify the purchase unfortunately.

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
As others have already said, it mostly comes down to experience.
However- I was consistently smoking hot when I started, so I got a meerschaum - I figured something that couldn't catch fire or get burnt through would be good training wheels.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That one is all up to your technique. They'll all smoke hot until you get packing and smoking cadence down. A pipe will not correct lack of experience.
I always say the pipe shifts the margins but technique means a lot more. Basically a few of my pipes are more forgiving then others. The only pipe that can correct overheating would be a water pipe.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I recommend a 9mm filter meerschaum pipe and 9mm activated charcoal filters. That will be about the coolest driest smoke you can get. If you do not want the filter later or just sometimes, then you can leave it out or get a 3mm non-filter adapter.

If you already have a non-filter pipe, try lighting your pipe with a hemp wick. I use that now and I swear it is a cooler smoke.

Reactions: newbroom