PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
Hi everyone, I was checking my tins today for their vacuum seal. I noticed on one of them that the contents shook quite alot, but the seal seemed intact. The tin still feels solid and dimpled. To me, this seems like the seal is good. But I have read on here some people recommending to move tins whose contents shake like this into a jar. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Depends on the cut. None of my ready rubbed/ribbon/loose cuts move around in there at all, whereas all the flakes do. That's normal, though. If you've got a ready rubbed blend with room to move in the tin, I would think something is amiss. But yes, when in doubt, jar it, or for longer term storage, mylar the tins themselves. Also, square/rectangular tins are somewhat notorious for having an undependable seal, as opposed to circular ones.

Hope this helps!

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I was rummaging through one of the Rubbermaid containers where I store part of my pipe tobacco stash yesterday. The Latakia smell was quiet pungent. Since I recently discovered several Mac Baren tins that had lost their seal, I immediately zeroed in on the Sam Gawith tins in this container. Sure enough, four Squadron Leader tins had lost their seal. I don’t have enough room for more mason jars so a vacuum sealer is on it’s way from Amazon.
I know several others have warned against square and rectangle tins on the forum. Heed their advice, friends. I’m up to 11 tins with compromised seals this year alone. Fortunately, I caught these in time before they dried out.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you see any rust on the can, likely the seal has been compromised.
In my experience, that's not necessarily true. Rust outside doesn't automatically mean rust inside. And a tin that is rust free outside isn't automatically rust free inside. I've seen both tins that are rusty on the outside but pristine inside, and tins that are pristine on the outside but are rusty inside. I've seen these in both round and square tins. In all cases they had good seals.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
In my experience, that's not necessarily true. Rust outside doesn't automatically mean rust inside. And a tin that is rust free outside isn't automatically rust free inside. I've seen both tins that are rusty on the outside but pristine inside, and tins that are pristine on the outside but are rusty inside. I've seen these in both round and square tins. In all cases they had good seals.
How do you tell what's happened without opening the can?

Reactions: beef

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
Depends on the cut. None of my ready rubbed/ribbon/loose cuts move around in there at all, whereas all the flakes do. That's normal, though. If you've got a ready rubbed blend with room to move in the tin, I would think something is amiss. But yes, when in doubt, jar it, or for longer term storage, mylar the tins themselves. Also, square/rectangular tins are somewhat notorious for having an undependable seal, as opposed to circular ones.

Hope this helps!
This is a flake. Fribourg and Treyer Vintage in a circular tin. I have a few tins of the same blend and the contents don't shake nearly as much. I think this is what worried me. I take it that the solidity of the tin is a better sign of vacuum seal than anything else.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
Just try to pull the tin open with your fingers. In my experience with cellaring for years now, I cannot pull a tin open with just my fingers. NEVER! If it does open, then the vacuum seal was compromised. In that case, move to a jar. If it doesn't open, let it ride. Easy peasy.
Really? I always pry open a new tin with just my fingers. My technique is to hold the bottom of the tin in one hand and with the other, use my index, middle, and ring fingers. Middle finger goes on the small indent where you would insert a knife, screwdriver, etc. Anyone else do this?

Really? I always pry open a new tin with just my fingers. My technique is to hold the bottom of the tin in one hand and with the other, use my index, middle, and ring fingers. Middle finger goes on the small indent where you would insert a knife, screwdriver, etc. Anyone else do this?
Well, if you have bionic fingers, then maybe just give it a moderate tug, instead of the full on, technique.
I can barely get mine open with a quarter, much less my bare fingers.

Reactions: yohanan and JOHN72

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
Well, if you have bionic fingers, then maybe just give it a moderate tug, instead of the full on, technique.
I can barely get mine open with a quarter, much less my bare fingers.
I understand what you were getting at. The seal can be tested without breaking it. I was just curious if anyone else popped tins with just their fingers. I'm pretty sure it's more about the technique than strength. I have pretty sissy hands and can manage. Maybe I'll record a video of my "technique" one of these days.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore