PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In 1947, after the war ended Kaywoodie introduced a $15, $20, and $25 line of pipes.

IMG_6483.jpegIMG_6484.jpeg

One of the problems with a Kaywoodie is after they switched to a three hole stinger the quality went on a straight line downhill to mass produced drug store pipes, instead of luxury pipes only.

So if you see a Connoisseur, a Nintey Fiver, or Centennial for sale, was it made in 1947 or 1967?

I’ve never seen any of these three in person.

Wonder where they all went?

There are lots of high end Marxman pipes for sale.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In 1947, after the war ended Kaywoodie introduced a $15, $20, and $25 line of pipes.

View attachment 276870View attachment 276871

One of the problems with a Kaywoodie is after they switched to a three hole stinger the quality went on a straight line downhill to mass produced drug store pipes, instead of luxury pipes only.

So if you see a Connoisseur, a Nintey Fiver, or Centennial for sale, was it made in 1947 or 1967?

They show up from time to time.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Let’s assume it’s the four hole stinger era and you want a new pipe.

The other pipes in 1947 have to really be good to beat a $3.50 Drinkless. A Drinkless more or less defined a forties luxury pipe.

Would you like to spend $5?

Here there are gorgeous Webers, Lees, LHS and Marxman pipes to chose from.

At $10 a Kaywoodie Flame Grain is the Packard of the bunch. My first goal as a pipe smoker was to smoke nothing but Flame Grains.

Then I discovered Three Star Lees.:)

The Kaywoodie customer got so much pipe for $3:50, $5, and $10 I’d say he was a hard sell for $15, $20, and $25 Kaywoodies.

But they made quite a few, no doubt.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I thought you had them all!

I have several Kaywoodie but only one 4 hole stinger and it is a beautiful pipe. No doubt about it. I didn’t even realize it’s age until this forum.

I do believe there is much value in obtaining estate pipes. Such quality can be had for so little. Happy Hunting.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Possibly, like many pipes of the era, smoked into oblivion and discarded.

A few years ago a legal assistant admired my Lees and gushed my father used to smoke a pipe, he had a lot of them!

I knew he’d passed a few years ago, and her mother was still alive.

So without trying to sound larcenous I asked, whatever became of his collection?

She said they were all in racks and they were smelly and my brother doesn’t smoke, so we tossed them.

She said they didn’t have pretty gold stars like yours, they all had little white cloverleafs.:)

The men who smoked $15-$25 pipes had more than one pipe, most likely.

They probably took care of them but when they were gone, who knows?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I thought you had them all!

I have several Kaywoodie but only one 4 hole stinger and it is a beautiful pipe. No doubt about it. I didn’t even realize it’s age until this forum.

I do believe there is much value in obtaining estate pipes. Such quality can be had for so little. Happy Hunting.

If you cruise eBay I think there are more Flame Grains for sale than Super Grains. And a Flame Grain is nearly always in better shape.

FYI there are three classes of 4 hole stingers. The ones you want are the large ball 4 holers with four digit numbers (Super Grain was top then) and then large ball Flame Grains or two digit numbers, then small four hole stingers with two digits. After three holes, they go downhill but each pipe has to be judged on its own. Earlier is better. They shrunk the ball to save on aluminum during the war.

Kaywoodie made meerschaums and oversized specials and calabashes and just everything under the sun. But the vast majority of production were standard sized pipes which by modern tastes are small pipes. Small was stylish then.

The $15-25 pipes came in most of the numbers in the enormous Kaywoodie catalog that shrunk every year after the war.

By 1970 here’s what was left.

IMG_6344.jpeg

Note prices have about doubled in thirty years but inflation had tripled and the pipes were a shadow of what they’d been in 1940.

There still was listed a Connoisseur at $27.50.

Where are they?

Those tonque burners of lesser grades are all over eBay.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
They do pop up on eBay pretty regularly, but most serious KW collectors don't consider them to be worth anything. Pre-war 4 hole pipes are starting to surge in price again though. If you're looking for early Kaywoodies...

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Pre 1936?

Let’s not split hairs, but the 1936 Kaywwodie catalog doesn’t have a Flame Grain yet, and all pipes have four digit serial numbers.

In 1937 there are two digit serial numbers in the catalog and a brand new $10 Flame Grain.

The 1937 Super Grains were second best, if there are two digits.

Or so that’s what I’ve read for 25 years now.

4 digits means pre 37, actually.

And older is better.

Kaywoodie alone is responsible for total depletion of the truly ancient 250+ year old Greek briar.

Greek brown was prettier, harder, and more mellow on aberage than Algerian.

• Love
Reactions: Grangerous
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.

View attachment 276870View attachment 276871

I have a Ninety Fiver that I found in an antique shop on the eastern shore of Virginia in pretty cruddy shape and cleaned it up.I payed 12$.They went for 20$ back in the day.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think that would be a bit over 200$ in today's money.

The Inflation calculator says $20 in 1947 is $275 today.

What it can’t tell you is five dollars bought a deluxe Super Grain in 1947, exact same shape, just as well made Kaywwodie.

Kaywoodie pipes were like Cadillacs in that they all were the same pipe as the shape number and there were no bargain, budget priced Kaywoodies.

More money meant better (prettier) biar and nothing else.

I’ll bet a Ninety Fiver is the rarest above $10 Kaywoodie.

If you’ll spend $20 then $5 more buys the very best.