Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 23, 2024
Northwest CT
So I've recently decided to venture beyond smoking aromatics into other styles. I have almost exclusively been smoking Sutliff's blends and would like some pointers as to what blends to try as I explore different styles. The only other blend that I have purchased that was not an aromatic was Tabac Manil's Petit Robin (bought to smoke in my kiseru) and I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks guys.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would suggest a simple virginia flake, like newminster no. 400 superior navy flake.

That way you get the experience of a different cut of tobacco, as well as a tobacco forward flavour, with a simple flavour profile. And you experience 'subtle' which you don't get so much with an aromatic.

Also try a balkan/english blend with latakia, for a more complex flavour profile. This could be one of 20+ different options, but I guess I would suggest G.L Pease Westminster as a starting place.

Don't throw away your aromatics! You may just circle back to them.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I'd recommend going a light aro next MacBaren Scottish mixture and Golden Extra. Then go VA/bur with Old Joe Krantz Blue. Then grab some CD Yorktown to avoid dealing with flakes at first. Then Sutliff 507C and then my fav Newm 400. After that try Union square and opening night. Then branch into a perique like escudo or evening flake and then orientals like Oriental silk then English styles like Balkan supreme, straight English father Dempsey and Scottish like Sutliff Match 20. My opinion you want to understand burley first before Virginia. Virginia is after burley on your journey because VA is more subtle than Burley. If you can detect the standard flavors in burley you'll get Virginia. Then after straight Virginia you try periques and orientals to understand how the spice affects a base Virginia. Then try Latakias to see what the smokiness brings to an oriental blend (Balkan) or a balanced blend like match 20 or a medium Latakia forward blend like fr Dempsey.

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't think there's a specific order or progression that one should follow when branching out. I started with English blends, burley was the last blend family I tried. There are many good and available blends in each genre, Tobacco Review can help ID them along with the scores of threads about favorite tobaccos on this forum. Sutliff 507c is a fine one however it needs 6 months or so of aging to be good. The different formats, flake, coin, rope, shag, ribbon, are also fun to explore. Early on I found I preferred flakes as they greatly simplified packing, again I don't think there's a best order to approach various formats; dive in and have fun.

Reactions: JOHN72 and newbroom

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Mac Baren Virginia no. 1 did it for me. Not sure what the blend is like these days but in the late 80's it helped me make the transition.

Reactions: JOHN72

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
This forum and YouTube reviews of tobacco helped me immensely.

My favorite YouTube pipe presenters are:
Beans316
Mike Rizzo (Philly Piper Mike)
Eldritch Pipes

Then be prepared to drop some coin.
I bought all sorts of stuff, most of which I ended up liking, some of which I ended up loving.

Go to the “Recent TAD Acquisitions” thread and the “Heavenly Tin Note” thread and the “Tobacco Reviews” thread on this forum. Cross reference with TobaccoReviews.com website.
Find a blender and dive in to their offerings.
I started with Wilke then went to Esterval’s which is a German retailer.
Ken Byron Ventures and then Watch City Cigar. Sutliff and Cornell and Diehl are amazing American blenders that have their own brands but also manufacture for other blenders.

Read, watch, buy, smoke, repeat.
You’ll find your way in no time but it’s not the destination, it’s the journey that I love.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHN72 and newbroom

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
While everyone has their own tastes and preferences, I have noticed a definite pattern in long time pipe smokers. First stop is aromatics, sounds like you are here. Next stop is Latakia blends- they burn better, cooler, are bursting with savory (as opposed to aromatic blends’ sweetness) flavor, and seem more “serious”. Next stop is Virginias, back to sweetness but not in a cloying way and seeming more “natural” and at this point you’ve developed some good smoking skills and will be able to appreciate them. After that, and if the pattern holds it’s the last stop, is Virginia Perique blends.

So in terms of specific recs I would go with Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, My Mixture 965, and Nightcap (it says Peterson on the tin now). No need for anything else.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A good way to go is trying samples of various genres.
Some retailers eg Boswell offer sample packs.

That way you can get an idea of what you genres you may like without springing for full tins.
Just remember that within each genre, there are different iterations and no two blends are going to taste the same

I was very lucky when I returned to smoking pipes - a generous mate gifted me with samples of various tins he had open - and still does !
Have fun exploring puffy

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Peter Stokkebye's English Luxury (Latakia)
Peter Stokkebye's Cube Cut (Burley/American)
Mac Baren Scottish Blend (Virginia Base)
Rattray's Dark fragrant (Stoved Virginia/Very subtle)
Mac Baren Club Blend (Virginia/Cavendish/watch your cadence)

StuporSpoopy

Lurker
Mar 2, 2024
Wittmann, Arizona, USA
Honestly, I didn't spend a very long time with aromatics. I've found that I enjoy VaPers quite a bit. Though at the moment I'm taking some time to try some of the tobacco varieties on their own. It's been very pleasant in tasting what each leaf brings to the party and having some leftover to blend is a good side effect!

Just be aware that your experience will vary, everyone's tastes are different and so on. Sometimes its nice to just take a leap and find something amazing as a result puffy

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
If you're smoking Semois in a Kiseru (and inhaling I assume?) then you can handle just about any non-aromatic pipe tobacco there is. I'd recommend getting a an ounce each of bulk blends in different genres.

Cornell and Diehl Yorktown is a solid straight Virginia, that will require slow smoking to not get bit.

Sutliff Match Victorian will give you a fair representation of a solid Virginia Perique blend.

Cornell and Diehl Pegasus is a Burley blend I've just recently tried, but that's an enduring fan favorite around here.

Lastly I'd reccomend Cornell and Diehl Super Balkan. This will introduce you to Latakia, along with the tobaccos you've already experienced in the blends above.

All of these blends are very reasonably priced, readily available, and can get you an introduction to a wide representation of blend types for not too much money.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I’d suggest Virginia based blends.
Virginias were the next step for me after aromatics. I still like aromatics but I’ve grown to love all the nuances of Virginias.
I’m in agreement here. I very much enjoy English blends as well, and do think it’s important to incorporate them in to the trying out of where your taste is at.

But I found my way to some good VA blends rather early on in my “palate development” for lack of a better term and that’s kinda where I’m at now. Much of this because I have a bud who generously lets me try about any blend known to man lol!
Lightly cased or super duper lightly topped VA based flakes were and still are a favorite, and I think can be a great avenue after the typical early aro entry level thing. Both because of the flavor, but also the texture, way they burn yada yada.

Generally speaking I’m quite new to all this, so others here are much more qualified to recommend specific blends, but, that was more or less my trajectory when I started seeking something new and better

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
When you start stepping out past aromatics I think the best thing you can do is try some iconic and well known blends in the other main styles: Virginia, Burley, and English. Everyone's tastes are different and while Virginia blends might be the most popular you may find that you're more of a Burley or English blend fan!

There's lots of options to choose from, hundreds if not thousands, but if I could recommend just one iconic blend to give you a good general idea of what each style of tobacco is about I'd go with...

Virginia: Orlik Golden Sliced
Burley: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
English: Peterson Early Morning Pipe

None of them are subtle blends and the flavors in them should all be easy to recognize and (hopefully) enjoy for both new and experienced pipe smokers alike. Orlik Golden Sliced will introduce you to the bright grassy tea-like flavors of Virginia tobaccos and their natural sweetness, Haunted Bookshop will give you all the dark earthy savory flavors and higher nicotine content that Burley is known for, and Early Morning Pipe will provide you with a good taste of the smokey campfirey flavors of Latakia and the sour tang of Oriental tobaccos that make English blends work so well.

Those are just my recommendations though, so if you'd like to see what other people's thoughts on the matter are then here's a great thread that should provide you with lots of blends for consideration: Top Three (YMMV) :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/top-three-ymmv.89501/

Last edited: