PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'll be there in June. Are there any tobacconists who have at least a fair selection of pipes? Or any good antique shops, for that matter? Most of what I found online looked like cigar stores.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There aren't any left in the Philly area, only cigar shops.
Holts is downtown and out in Bensalem:

Black Cat Cigar has a lot of pipe tobacco, but they are 45 minutes from downtown.

Lestrout may chime in. He's reviving the Philly Pipe club at the downtown "Pen & Pencil Club", I think their first meeting is in May. They are in an alley, right off Broad Street. Old info:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There this place

That’s a very small shop, but well worth the trip to Chestnut Hill and the wonderful shops and restaurants along Germantown Avenue. While you are there, be sure to visit Chestnut Hill Hospital. I was born there, and they love meeting my fans.

Doesn’t Holts still have a pipe section right when you enter the store?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hint - do not wear your Ravens or Capitals gear while walking around the downtown.
Or smoke your pipe in FRD park while waiting for the Pipe Club meeting to start....

And my opinion, pass on any of the three cheesecake places

Last edited:
Reactions: franklinpipes

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
It
There aren't any left in the Philly area, only cigar shops.
Holts is downtown and out in Bensalem:

Black Cat Cigar has a lot of pipe tobacco, but they are 45 minutes from downtown.

Lestrout may chime in. He's reviving the Philly Pipe club at the downtown "Pen & Pencil Club", I think their first meeting is in May. They are in an alley, right off Broad Street. Old info:
That is a name I haven't heard in years.

I enjoyed many nights at the Pen & Pencil. So much so that I remember some of them.

Reactions: ssjones

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
Were you a journalist?

I was not. Out of town corporate tech consultant who found myself closing down Philly bars and the P&P was the port of last call. Generally, a bartender would vouch for me at the door with some fable I can't quite recall and I'd be ushered in with the rest of the classy ladies and gents. Chalking it up to poor decisions made in my youth. Somehow ended up there, the Union League and Pyramid Club on more than a few occasions. Given a choice, I'd probably stick with the P&P given the pro-smoke environment.

Reactions: ssjones

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Cheesesteaks indeed, but where, I wonder? Pat's & GEno's are the big names, but every single user I see discussing them on food forums has a completely different place for THE VERY BEST cheesesteaks. And is it sacrilege to order them with provolone? I know Cheez Whiz is the gold standard there, but I despise the stuff. Out here in the wilds of Washington, the cheesesteak places all use provolone.

Reactions: franklinpipes

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
Cheesesteaks indeed, but where, I wonder? Pat's & GEno's are the big names, but every single user I see discussing them on food forums has a completely different place for THE VERY BEST cheesesteaks. And is it sacrilege to order them with provolone? I know Cheez Whiz is the gold standard there, but I despise the stuff. Out here in the wilds of Washington, the cheesesteak places all use provolone.

From the time I spent there, my favorite non-cheez-whiz-smothered sandwich was at Cleavers. They had a smoked roast beef that was to die for. Perhaps more fancy than the average Geno - but well worth a visit next time you're there. Although I've not been to Philly since 2021, things may have changed some. Likely some locals have differing viewpoints. Bar none - the City of Brotherly Love has some of the best non-healthy food I've ever encountered. So delicious!