PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bobbiy

Lurker
May 24, 2023
I've got a cob that needs reaming. But before i do It, i gotta know which one i should use. Its got a conical chamber shape to it.

20230610_190046.jpg
i heard these these kinds would work ?

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everyone knows what I'm going to say. Don't use a reamer, and don't build cake. No, really, build cake if you like it, but you don't have to.

Just scoop out the ash and wipe out the chamber with an abrasive paper towel. This will maintain a thin carbon layer, maintain the original diameter of the chamber for the life of the pipe, and avoid the wear and tear of reaming, especially for new pipe smokers who can do real damage with a reamer.

It's fun to ream, and so many new pipe smokers overdo it and score the briar.

It's an option not to ream. I have smoked for decades and have never owned a reamer, and the pipes and their chambers look great. Also this somewhat reduces ghosting, since there is much less material to carry over flavors.

It's a break with tradition not to build cake, but why not join the rebellion.

Then you only need to a reamer if you restore estate pipes.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Everyone knows what I'm going to say. Don't use a reamer, and don't build cake. No, really, build cake if you like it, but you don't have to.

Just scoop out the ash and wipe out the chamber with an abrasive paper towel. This will maintain a thin carbon layer, maintain the original diameter of the chamber for the life of the pipe, and avoid the wear and tear of reaming, especially for new pipe smokers who can do real damage with a reamer.

It's fun to ream, and so many new pipe smokers overdo it and score the briar.

It's an option not to ream. I have smoked for decades and have never owned a reamer, and the pipes and their chambers look great. Also this somewhat reduces ghosting, since there is much less material to carry over flavors.

It's a break with tradition not to build cake, but why not join the rebellion.

Then you only need to a reamer if you restore estate pipes.
1686424238089.png

Agreed.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
The one pictured is exactly what I used myself, works just fine. You can buy more expensive ones if you are heavily into restoration work, but for occasional personal use, I think the cheapo will do.