PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
It’s been quite a discussion I’ve had with some friends. But…and this is for college football fans…

Do you really want to watch the SEC championship game as the national title game? And a rematch at that?

Several things don’t seem great for college football…but, this takes the cake.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Yes. They're by far the two best teams in college football. I wouldn't want to watch either of those teams blow out an inferior opponent again such as it was in the semi finals.
Alabama didn’t blowout Georgia in the SEC championship game? 41-24? Maybe say hardly, but that wasn’t a contest.

Oddly enough, Georgia blows out every opponent on the schedule, with the exception of the season opener with Clemson, and then shows up to get blasted by Alabama? A Bama team that lost to a questionable A&M team and barely got by several of the SEC’s weaker teams?

Weird season for sure…even Michigan beat Ohio State - that in itself is like the twilight zone ?

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
I agree that watching the same teams year after year is getting quite tiresome. But how else would it work for the championship? I don’t think it would be fair to tell one of the teams that even though they have a 13-1 record they can’t play for the championship just because they happen to be in the same conference.

“…barely got by several of the SEC’s weaker teams?
Reminds me of a line from the Simpsons. Mr. Burns (a Yale graduate) is going home from watching the Yale-Harvard football game and says to Smithers, “I don’t know why Harvard even bothers to shows up anymore. I mean, they barely won.”

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Alabama didn’t blowout Georgia in the SEC championship game? 41-24? Maybe say hardly, but that wasn’t a contest.

Oddly enough, Georgia blows out every opponent on the schedule, with the exception of the season opener with Clemson, and then shows up to get blasted by Alabama? A Bama team that lost to a questionable A&M team and barely got by several of the SEC’s weaker teams?

Weird season for sure…even Michigan beat Ohio State - that in itself is like the twilight zone ?
The first game was closer than the score and I think tomorrow nights game will be very competitive. I'll be cheering for the Crimson Tide.

This is a young Alabama team that took awhile to jell. They lost a lot of players from last year's team. The A&M game was a fluke.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Jwebb90

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
The first game was closer than the score and I think tomorrow nights game will be very competitive. I'll be cheering for the Crimson Tide.

This is a young Alabama team that took awhile to jell. They lost a lot of players from last year's team. The A&M game was a fluke.
Good points. If I was rooting for a team, I’d have to go with Georgia. Just because of Alabama fatigue - haha.

I went to the Rose Bowl in Dallas last year, so got to see last year’s Alabama team play - that was a star studded group for sure. Saban just has it there…done a remarkable job in all facets and even when he’s gone, that train is going to be hard to stop. I guess I’d just like to see a little more balance out there. Some day…

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I am tired of the SEC, especially Bama. But I don’t know what I would change. They ARE the best two teams this year.
I guess maybe expand the playoffs to eight teams? But then instead of one or two inferior teams, there’d be five or six. And we’d probably still have a Bama-Georgia final. Oh well. Someone just need to beat them.
I think the Big10 is coming.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

As a 2-time Michigan State graduate, Go Green.

Saban's one of the best modern college coaches, although Spartans feel he did them dirty. He left just before I got there. Tom Izzo on the other hand has a God-like status in East Lansing.

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
I am tired of the SEC, especially Bama. But I don’t know what I would change. They ARE the best two teams this year.
I guess maybe expand the playoffs to eight teams? But then instead of one or two inferior teams, there’d be five or six. And we’d probably still have a Bama-Georgia final. Oh well. Someone just need to beat them.
I think the Big10 is coming.
Would expanding to eight teams lengthen the season by one or two weeks? If so, they’d probably have to take away some regular season games to accommodate that. It could get to the point where the national championship is played with the Super Bowl.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
As a 2-time Michigan State graduate, Go Green.

Saban's one of the best modern college coaches, although Spartans feel he did them dirty. He left just before I got there. Tom Izzo on the other hand has a God-like status in East Lansing.
I watched Saban coach Sparty in a couple games, then got to watch the Spartan team that made playoffs…uh…2016? Sparty is such an interesting team…much like the Big 10… almost. Every year. ? I’d like to see the Big 10 do better. But, please, not on the shoulders of Ohio State ?.

I have a feeling - 2022 season is going to be incredibly hyped for the Big 10 coming off the good bowl run and better than average year. But, by mid season they’ll do the classic choke most commonly demonstrated by teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State.

The Big 10’s traditional style of play still cannot match the altheticism of the SEC. I hate admitting that, but all you have to do is watch some games to see it.

I don’t know or care. I just find it interesting that this year I haven’t heard much screaming and drunken hoots from my neighbor’s house. He seems to keep Alabama merchandising folks in business single-handedly, wearing only Roll Tide clothing day and night. But, this year, no drunken brawls in his yard. I figured that they must just suck this year.

Now, women’s beach volleyball…. I could watch that all day. puffy

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I watched Saban coach Sparty in a couple games, then got to watch the Spartan team that made playoffs…uh…2016? Sparty is such an interesting team…much like the Big 10… almost. Every year. ? I’d like to see the Big 10 do better. But, please, not on the shoulders of Ohio State ?.

I have a feeling - 2022 season is going to be incredibly hyped for the Big 10 coming off the good bowl run and better than average year. But, by mid season they’ll do the classic choke most commonly demonstrated by teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State.

The Big 10’s traditional style of play still cannot match the altheticism of the SEC. I hate admitting that, but all you have to do is watch some games to see it.
Agreed. Seems like the Big 10 beats up on each other and then flops. Usually MSU beats a team they should lose to then flops in a "gimmie" game.

Shame it seems consistent national recognition doesn't seem to happen with the Big 10 (but I understand why).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am having a hard time getting up for the final, though I will watch it intently. Such bad semi-finals!

I'll root for a close high scoring game. And a narrow loss to the team that has won all too often.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I am having a hard time getting up for the final, though I will watch it intently. Such bad semi-finals!

I'll root for a close high scoring game. And a narrow loss to the team that has won all too often.
I’d like nothing more than to see a 5-0 Georgia win. A safety and a field goal. Zero touchdowns. The most boring game in the history of the CFP.

But, I’ll keep that dream alive for the future, because that isn’t likely ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Big 10 needs to recruit more athletes. And play a pro style offense. Michigan looked like they were playing in slow motion against Georgia. Don't make too much out of the bowl performances. Outside of the championship game, most games were treated like exhibitions due to Covid and players voluntarily sitting out.

The Ohio State QB is really good. If they can shore up an unusually weak defense, they'll be there again next year.

Expanding the playoffs is absurd. All that would accomplish is one or two more weekends of lopsided games proving the huge gap between the haves and have nots.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Big 10 needs to recruit more athletes. And play a pro style offense. Michigan looked like they were playing in slow motion against Georgia. Don't make too much out of the bowl performances. Outside of the championship game, most games were treated like exhibitions due to Covid and players voluntarily sitting out.

The Ohio State QB is really good. If they can shore up an unusually weak defense, they'll be there again next year.

Expanding the playoffs is absurd. All that would accomplish is one or two more weekends of lopsided games proving the huge gap between the haves and have nots.
Agreed - unless in playoffs bowls mean nothing anymore as evidenced by opt outs. Buckeyes can be there, but going to need a little more than improved defense I think. But, they’re defense was incredibly terrible this year.

I agree on the lopsided games, but, an expansion might actually help. Not huge, but guarantee conference champs out of Power 5, then top ranked group of 5 and next highest ranked power of 5. #1 ranked team gets first round bye. Latter two entered play first - winner of that game gets #1. Other two of first three games is #4 vs. #2 and #3 vs. #5.

Shouldn’t have to extend the season - just have to start playoffs earlier. I suppose the prestige of a bowl game name and Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 matter more. You could be down to final four same time as now…no problem. It’s only 3 more games to make it a seven team playoff… beyond 7 makes zero sense.

there is no way to prevent blowouts, but guarantees each power 5 conference represented and a slot for a group of five team. Make conference championships mean more again. Will not eliminate two teams from same conference as possibility, unless the highest ranked at-large is an independent - and it would t be fair for ND to always make the playoffs. No matter which way it’s sliced and diced - it will never be fair. But, we have to let go of the perfection model attached to college football. Lose and you’re out is the mentality. A team with a sub par record to others isn’t out of the realm of winning championships - see Atlanta Braves… ?‍♂️

Always room for improvement, but college is nothing more than a semi-pro/minor league system Transfer portal, NIL, etc…

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One big all-inclusive (supposedly) game at the end of the season with a conclusive winner seems highly professional and increases the idea that college teams are really professional teams at heart -- with the media, the pressure, and the money. This should probably make a good game to watch, and/but it increases the idea that college sports are going professional for better or worse. Super Bowl Junior.

Reactions: kcghost