PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
Before our move in late 2019, we kept our flock of around 18-20. They were so much fun, and the kiddos had a blast helping take care of them. Our family + extended family were never wanting for eggs, and we sold to a few nearby families. Our neighbors across from us raised pigs, that was also fun.

We picked our current place because of the schools, but local rules say no chickens in this neighborhood. Our next place will definitely be on a larger property again with space for raising some livestock.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Chicken houses smell much worse. Not backyard coops, but the commercial chicken barns. Worst smell I've come across in all my days.
I always hate working anywhere near the chicken factory in our town. I don't know how people live near it or eat at the restaurants across the street from it. Our coops at the farm never smell anywhere close to what commercial chicken farms do. Then again our chickens free range most of the time.
Def worst than pigs or cows or any other animal I've ever farmed.

Jan 27, 2020
I don't have Roosters either, too loud for me and they crow whenever they feel like it. Plus they can beat up on my ladies with all their macho mounting BS. PITA.

FYI: Egg yolks vary from Spring to Fall eggs. So much in fact that some chef recipes only call for a Fall or a Spring egg.

Never do my hens produce those pale colored yolks from commercial eggs. I don't participate in the commercial chicken cruelty world anymore. And as of late I am going Pescatarian (fish only, eggs, dairy [goat] and veggies)

It's just sickening and wasteful how many male chicks are put through the thrasher in the commercial egg world and how the hens are kept for egg production. Such horror.

Reactions: pantsBoots

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
We used to keep chickens when I was a kid then one day my dad brought home some mangee dog. The next morning there were a bunch of dead chickens and no dog to be seen.

• Wow
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In 2016 this girl persuaded our youngest to move to Florida.

BB361FA0-81F8-45B4-9F40-3A86BC2BE4BD.jpegMy wife was just as devastated as that girl was happy. She hoped her little boy would be happy in Florida, and she started a flock of chickens here at home.

EE6EA616-8A4E-4199-B5DE-A3279948541A.jpeg

After a glorious year in Tampa the kids moved back home, the girl moved on, and the chickens stayed.

Excuse me, I have to tend to the flock and go to the office.:)

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Chicken houses smell much worse. Not backyard coops, but the commercial chicken barns. Worst smell I've come across in all my days.

Our pigs didn't smell that bad until it got really hot.. then they started turning every spot they could into a mud hole. Now they stink, and they stink more than all the chickens I have combined. Just two pigs.

The stank is so bad that I'm getting out of the pig business actually. I like them, they'd make great pets.. but chickens are much easier.