PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Very bitter and acidic. I continued to try it every now and then for some time. I even once cleaned it real good and gave it a honey treatment.... something I never do. Still terrible. Finally I gave up on it and threw it in the trash. Didn't have the heart to even pass it on to another guy.

That happened about 30 years ago. Hope they have improved since then. On the bright side, they couldn't have gotten any worse. Good luck.
Smoked it last night and it did pretty well. I used a blend that I'm familiar with so I would be able to notice any off flavoring. Smoked it all the way to the bottom. The only thing I could discern was that it didn't seem to have the same flavor intensity I'm used to with that particular tobacco. No horrid off taste thank goodness.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
I saw this very old Ascorti on the Lanzola site, and pulled the trigger that second. Got here last Thursday, so not technically a Christmas present, but pretty close. Not a "collector" piece but a neat old pipe unsmoked these 30 years. I am making up for lost time now - small billiards get heavy use here. View attachment 117002
That is stunning!

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
On this forum? I read a ton of posts, and do not recall a lot, many, or even a handful saying that. Can you cite a few examples on a site? Besides Searock's post in this thread!
Its been a few months while I was looking around before I joined. I'll look around again to see if I can find the post or posts. I've also seen those comments on reddit as well. If I find them again I'll let you know.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I was able to unwrap and enjoy my Peterson POY2021 with my son-in-law, temps hit 80 degrees here in Louisiana, a rare treat for this Northern boy.

View attachment 116994
I was hoping to do the same,bought a Peterson POTY for Christmas but its still awaiting customs .As is my pipe I bought for my birthday ,early November.
Maybe they will be New Year presents to my self now

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
On the French subject, from all the reading I could find on Genod, it certainly sounds like Sebastien Beaud makes a really nice pipe.

Ever since learning about Genod, I’ve had my eyes peeled for the one, still haven’t found it yet, but I will get one, one day.

This is the Genod website, it’s in French, so use like Chrome that can translate it. You can also order directly from Genod.

SPC sells Genod.

P.S. I bought a pipe for myself on Christmas Day if that counts.. LOL ?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I got a pack of handkerchiefs from my parents. Not complaining at all, they have been really useful already as I shed a tear or two looking at what you chaps received lol.

also, from personal experience and through reading here (I swear @mso489 mentions it at least twice a year) French pipes punch well above their price bracket. In fact the majority of my pipes are probably French turned stummels

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
No pipe, but gifted my brother-in-law some German's Rich Dark Flake, Bob's Choc Flake and a tin of Stonehenge...his first ever flakes. Unfortunately before I could shout out 'cellar it' he'd popped the tin!

I got a pinch of his preferred Mac Baren's Original Choice which I look froward to trying.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was able to unwrap and enjoy my Peterson POY2021 with my son-in-law, temps hit 80 degrees here in Louisiana, a rare treat for this Northern boy.

View attachment 116994
Damn Al, what happened to your head. Last time I saw you the head was full of hair. This covid took all your hair, what a bummer. lol

I forgot to answer the original question. I get nothing pipe related from my kids. I tell them to give each other nice gifts and don't worry about me. I will get a bottle of cologne and a few bars of Lindt Milk Chocolate bars, which I really love as I need my chocolate.

Reactions: UncleRasta

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I got a pack of handkerchiefs from my parents. Not complaining at all, they have been really useful already as I shed a tear or two looking at what you chaps received lol.

also, from personal experience and through reading here (I swear @mso489 mentions it at least twice a year) French pipes punch well above their price bracket. In fact the majority of my pipes are probably French turned stummels
I smoked the Butz Choquin Arsenal that I got again today. Its an estate pipe and smokes great. Searock Fan had a bad experience with that brand years ago, so would never touch another. This one seemed today to lend some sweetness to the tobacco I was smoking. Never had that happen with any other pipe. Not sure if that normal or not. Its because of mso489 that I wanted this pipe. Glad I did.