Who Smokes Tiny Briar Pipes? Resting Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve never seen any discussions on the topic of smoking very small/tiny briar pipes, caring and resting them, etc...

We all know that Briar is very tough, and in the past, somewhere a long the line, letting them dry out for several days was considered the norm, the thing to do. Now, we hear of people smoking them daily. I remember even reading recently an article from G.L. Pease, that he wanted to challenge this notion, and found no differences in continuously smoking his pipe.

But, my Bay Denmark Apple is a tiny little thing, and I’m wondering about smoking it several times a day, and day after day. Of course we are not talking about non stop smoking, pipe cleaners will be run often through the stem and shank, and the pipe would air out in between bowls.

I think a little common sense, good judgment needs to used, and allowing a pipe a few hours air out time, etc...

So, what I really wanted to know, is how many members here have very tiny Briar pipes, and if they did notice, compared to their bigger pipes, they did need to give them a little extra caution?

One thing I certainly know having a pipe this small, is that I need to smoke it keeping the bowl cooler and smoking it slower, otherwise it builds moisture easier than a bigger pipe, which makes sense, given how small it is.

Here’s a pic of how small I’m talking, if you smoke Briar pipes this small regularly.

Length: 4.68 in. | 119 mm
Bowl Height: 1.33 in. | 34 mm
Chamber Depth: 1.14 in. | 29 mm
Chamber Diameter: 0.66 in. | 17 mm
Outside Diameter: 1.22 in. | 31 mm

0B7C4DE2-3C23-4448-9D42-042BD0E21373.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer smaller pipes like yours. I wouldn't necessarily treat them much different. They actually get smoked more often due to the size. I did have a tiny Grabow straight billiard split in the shank mid smoke, after I think about 6 or 7 bowls in a row, leaking tars onto my hand. I was driving 300 miles a day at that point, so that pipe was smoked a lot. So with that being said, they "maybe" should be rested occasionally.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have three small pipes about that size: an Irish Seconds (317), an old, haggard Well Bent system knock off, and a Rattray's Ahoy. Love them all. I'd smoke any of them all day if I add the chance to do that. If they were expensive I'd be more hesitant

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have several smaller French pipes from the ’50s with 5/8" chamber widths that I’ve designated for tasting individual tobacco components for blending. I let them rest like any other pipe I use (generally after one use, but, not always).

Reactions: edger and PipeIT

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I recently acquired a "taster" pipe recently as part of an ashtray collection that I purchased. It's comically small, like a pipe for a baby. I cleaned it up and smoked it once just to see if it really worked...and it does. It's much smaller than the pipe you have there.

I've heard that they tend to smoke hot.

Reactions: PipeIT and edger

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ahh, I don’t recall in the WAYs posts any that small, but I certainly noticed you do have a nice Vintage collection.

Happy Holidays to you and your family! ❤️
Haha that’s cos the zoom throws the perspective out!

Nah I was too quick off the mark, I’ve gone and checked and quarter of my pipes are that size or smaller. The bulk of my stuff is between 120-150mm

Aloha bro 🤙🏼

Reactions: PipeIT and edger