PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
When it comes to brand new pipes, a Comoy, Chacom, or Genod sells in the price range that is roughly the same as, say, Peterson or Savinelli. So, I'm not sure it holds true that French pipes are necessarily cheaper than other major competitors, at least not substantially so. I've two Chacoms that cost only slightly less than my Petersons do, and their quality is roughly the same.

As for estates, well, that is a market subject to the vagaries of monied collectors. I don't have any hard data to back up my thoughts on this, but I would hazard to guess that most of your dedicated pipe collectors are fairly well-off retirees or members of the professional/managerial classes, because that is the same demographic that typically makes up any collector community where the things being collected are costly and either scarce or perceived to be so. And what do these collectors typically want? Their nostalgia sated, by and large. In English speaking countries, that usually means finding pipes from long-ago brands that can stir up nostalgia but still offer the thrill of the hard-find that collectors desire (e.g. Lees, Dunhills, etc.). The Norden countries have their own nostalgia to mine from. Other than that, the only block of countries I am aware of that has enough of a percentage of pipe tobacco smokers to possibly sustain a big enough collective of hobbyists to influence estate prices would be countries in Southeast Asia, and those countries likely don't have much love for the French in the first place, so...yea.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Depends upon the era. Very old GBD and Comoy pipes are certainly highly sought after. And many of the English-mounted pipes of the late 1800s were simply rebranded French imports. In the coming decades the French pipe industry became even more productive in terms of "Made in France" output to the extent, perhaps, that it might have diluted the vogue reputation it once enjoyed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Marketing. The cachet of British manufacture as a marketing device goes back long before it was merited, as far back as the 19th century.
To the extent it was even mentioned, St Claude was seen as a place where the basic parts were manufactured, but not where the artistry happened, bullshit then and now.
Perception of the buyer was focused on the British trademark. So even though the French invented the briar pipe, even though the French carvers created the classical canon, and, within the industry, considered the better craftsmen in the 19th and early 20th centuries, it was British marketing of British brands the was spread worldwide.
That perception remains to this day.
It also seems to me that French carvers are more matter of fact about what they do, rather than indulging in the metaphysical, and therefore must be less special.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When it comes to brand new pipes, a Comoy, Chacom, or Genod sells in the price range that is roughly the same as, say, Peterson or Savinelli. So, I'm not sure it holds true that French pipes are necessarily cheaper than other major competitors, at least not substantially so. I've two Chacoms that cost only slightly less than my Petersons do, and their quality is roughly the same.

As for estates, well, that is a market subject to the vagaries of monied collectors. I don't have any hard data to back up my thoughts on this, but I would hazard to guess that most of your dedicated pipe collectors are fairly well-off retirees or members of the professional/managerial classes, because that is the same demographic that typically makes up any collector community where the things being collected are costly and either scarce or perceived to be so. And what do these collectors typically want? Their nostalgia sated, by and large. In English speaking countries, that usually means finding pipes from long-ago brands that can stir up nostalgia but still offer the thrill of the hard-find that collectors desire (e.g. Lees, Dunhills, etc.). The Norden countries have their own nostalgia to mine from. Other than that, the only block of countries I am aware of that has enough of a percentage of pipe tobacco smokers to possibly sustain a big enough collective of hobbyists to influence estate prices would be countries in Southeast Asia, and those countries likely don't have much love for the French in the first place, so...yea.
Many Genod and Ropp pipes are much, much cheaper than almost any Sav and Pete. Especially the Ropps. The Ropp etudiants are almost the exact same price as a premium cob which is mind boggling to me. I have 3 Ropp Etudiants and they’re all great. I seriously think that if that exact same line were released by an English maker not only would the line be highly coveted, but the artistry would be highly praised, and the pipes would likely sell for 4x or 5x what they currently do. I plan on getting a few more before they run out of the old stock stummels.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Many Genod and Ropp pipes are much, much cheaper than almost any Sav and Pete. Especially the Ropps. The Ropp etudiants are almost the exact same price as a premium cob which is mind boggling to me. I have 3 Ropp Etudiants and they’re all great. I seriously think that if that exact same line were released by an English maker not only would the line be highly coveted, but the artistry would be highly praised, and the pipes would likely sell for 4x or 5x what they currently do. I plan on getting a few more before they run out of the old stock stummels.
Shhhhh!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some of my best smokers are French - a re-worked Lamboley and a french Mastercraft. Both are awesome.

Here’s a curiousity.

This pipe is a well made, nicely grained large billiard without a single mark on it.

If I’d found it at a local thrift shop I’d assume it was an American made pipe, maybe even an artisan pipe.

It was listed for $10 American dollar equivalent on eBay from a seller in France, and the postage was cheap, and arrived with French stamps and customs markings.

The price of used pipes in France must be low.

B5B69B11-BDE9-4C1B-B6B1-C6A1B316EBF8.jpeg05F7181B-E1A7-4F6C-ACAC-0578107294C9.jpeg656A597F-3B9F-4C00-A930-6E1E314F78E2.jpegB4AAC46B-0096-417B-8F1E-77D0D97E3739.jpeg2BECDB4B-C7E8-44CB-9C9C-498226DCCB84.jpeg

As concerned as we are about a brand or origin of a pipe, they are just an artfully carved chunk of briar attached to a hard rubber stem.

They don’t care where or who fashioned them.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Many of the French pipes currently on the market as "new" are actually quite old. Some are NOS and some are bowls that were frazed many years ago that are only now being finished. There were several French pipes factories that closed many years ago and thier inventory just sat. A lot that of the very old inventory is just now hitting the market as NOS, new, and recently completed pipes. They can be a screaming deal as the briar is about as aged as one can get in new pipes, but many of the shapes are dated and don't tend to go over well with modern entry level smokers looking for pipes in that price range. Many of them do tend to be on the lithe side reflecting pipes that were popular nearly 100 years ago.

Reactions: edger
Despite NOS pipe parts, I think French pipes have been historically cheaper for as long as I can remember. I mean, if someone thinks that Petes and Savinellis are expensive pipes, then you might disagree. But, even compared to those factory pipes, they tend to run 5-10% cheaper than the average factory pipe. But even some of the more decorative French pipes are way lower in price than most other pipes with similar aesthetics.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Also just thought of something. I have never heard of this is the year or that's the years for these french brands. At least not like I have for the popularly collectable pipes. No it just seems like a solid level of consistency is what's touted. Also seems like they are like my fictional sister (I just made her up) and are less dateable then others. Which that messes up collectors interest. And with collectors having a wide range isn't the same as being able to pinpoint a tiny period with certainty (and certainty is big in collectables, probably and strong maybes are things collectors are not fans of.)

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I love my few London made pipes from the sixties. They were like NOS, when I bought them. Which French pipes (older or new) can compete with the adequately thin bits, the buttons and the therefore very comfortable ebonite stem work of these? I am thinking of pipes such as Barling and Dunhill. I do also own several cheaper 'modern' French pipes (Chacom and BC) , which are 'fine' and in my rotation. But the stems...

Reactions: Warlee