Why do old-time burleys taste so good in cobs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm smoking my new favorite tobacco--Sterling's "Double Eagle"--in a cheap Missouri Meerschaum cob. The flavor is more pronounced than in any of my more elegant briars. Why is this? And are there styles of briar pipes that produce cob-like effects?

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Nothing beats the pureity of a good old fashon cob when it comes to old time blended burleys.

IDK if theres anything better than a cob for burleys but thats just my oppinion.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I know that cobs will let the flavor of the blend through better than a briar will. Blenders, I have been told, will use a brand new cob to test smoke a blend. :puffy:

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Just keep that grape jelly out of your cob. And keep the peanut butter out too. Although I haven't tried it, I doubt a cob will enhance those particular flavors.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Just keep that grape jelly out of your cob. And keep the peanut butter out too. Although I haven't tried it, I doubt a cob will enhance those particular flavors.
...no, but a good burley might! Sugar Barrel maybe... mmmmmmm Sugar Barrel. D'oh!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I think the cob adds a certain natural earthyness to the burly...don't smoke pa in anything else.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I just emailed Sterling for a free sample. I was going to ask for Double Eagle as I do enjoy Half&Half and it is on their list of suggestions for H&H smokers. But instead I took the option of telling them what I smoke and letting them surprise me. I listed two other favorite burley blends: Middleton's Apple and Sugar Barrel. I will load a cob when my sample arrives...

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Jack will email you soon to tell you what hes sending, I got double eagle & really enjoyed it, so i ordered more!! I guess its common practice they also sent me a sample of their bargain blend, same principle as p&c's best of the rest.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Awesome! The bargain blend sounds cool. I have an ever changing "bench blend" going and it's usually pretty good!

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I just emailed Sterling for a free sample. I was going to ask for Double Eagle as I do enjoy Half&Half and it is on their list of suggestions for H&H smokers. But instead I took the option of telling them what I smoke and letting them surprise me. I listed two other favorite burley blends: Middleton's Apple and Sugar Barrel. I will load a cob when my sample arrives...
I'm willing to bet he'll throw in some Sweet Briar. Wonderful stuff. I smoke aromatics much less than I used to, but this is a great one.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Now I know why the used corn cobs in the Outhouse's !

There good to use on both ends od a body.

Joe2seater

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I just smoked some Orlik Golden Sliced (which I never considered a favorite) in my brand new SD cob and I will say I think that Orlik may start to grow on me.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
I'm willing to bet he'll throw in some Sweet Briar
Rec'ved my email from Jack... He choose Honey Smoke for me! I'll let you know if I also get the Sweet Briar!

Status
Not open for further replies.