PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesAndPips

Lurker
Mar 4, 2023
Cleveland, OH, USA
Title edited for caps. And most of us are not that strange!

Pipe smokers are a small, strange group. Why do we like it?

For me, much of the enjoyment boils down to the experience of focus, relaxation and peace that comes along with process, ritual and tools.

To smoke a pipe requires tools and a knowledge of how to use and maintain them. It entails a process which takes time to learn and perfect. It spawns rituals before, during and after the smoke.

Finally, it creates a perpetual treasure hunt for the next trophy or experience - whether that's the next new pipe, the next great tobacco, a new rack or case of jars because of those first two, the perfect "down to white ash" smoke, etc.

I value all these elements as much if not more than the actual act of smoking. Also, I think I'm smarter when I smoke my pipe 😁

Why do you like pipe smoking?

Attachments

• PXL_20230502_005852773.jpg
    PXL_20230502_005852773.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I have always liked tobacco and all that surrounds it, for me the pipe is the product of the evolution of a lifetime of smoking, as I’ve aged I’ve grown more nostalgic and discerning, which led me to the pipe. I grew up with pipe smokers around so it’s kind of like completing a circle, I suppose. Returning to familiarity, capturing something from my past. Nicotine baby! I enjoy the heck out of it but I don’t know exactly why?

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
The exploration and discovery of tastes (and effects). The sensual experience, if you will, paired with the learning you mentioned; the visual and tactile pleasure of the pipes and even the tobaccos; and the slow-it-down pace it fosters.
p.s. and participating in this welcoming, educational, diverse, and enabling community!

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Re-grounding my inner peace and it's something I do and enjoy just for myself. Plus, I love the flavors and challenge of deciphering the character of pipe blends, all genres. I guess that's what you might call mental stimulation for the soul. I'll go with that, yeah.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sigmund Freud smoked a pipe, I believe, and he expressed opinions on smoking in general. Of course he had his theory about oral gratification. I think he also said, at one point, sometimes a good cigar is just a cigar.

Personally, I'd agree with the ritual of down time to be in the moment and focus on ones thoughts, or to have an agreeable and companionable time with another smoker or two.

The simplicity of it is central, although to read our posts you'd think it was astro physics.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited for caps. And most of us are not that strange!

Pipe smokers are a small, strange group. Why do we like it?

For me, much of the enjoyment boils down to the experience of focus, relaxation and peace that comes along with process, ritual and tools.

To smoke a pipe requires tools and a knowledge of how to use and maintain them. It entails a process which takes time to learn and perfect. It spawns rituals before, during and after the smoke.

Finally, it creates a perpetual treasure hunt for the next trophy or experience - whether that's the next new pipe, the next great tobacco, a new rack or case of jars because of those first two, the perfect "down to white ash" smoke, etc.

I value all these elements as much if not more than the actual act of smoking. Also, I think I'm smarter when I smoke my pipe 😁

Why do you like pipe smoking?
It is as I have said before and enjoy saying again, about the over all experience. It's not he nicotine, it's not the flavor, it's not the actions and ritualized aspects, it's not the cool tools and "toys", but instead it's all those things coming together and giving me more pleasure and relaxation then any of those things seem like they should give. I tell people that pipes can be shockingly pleasurable. I have semi regularly smokes that blow me away.
Oh and you are smarter when you smoke a pipe. One thing nicotine is an interesting substance. The effect it has on the nervous system is best described as tonic. The neurological explanation is that it's main factor is helping the brain distribute neurotransmitters more effectively. That's why it can help you wake up and get clear headed in the morning and also help you relax and get a good nights sleep. That's also why some people only like nicotine in certain situations. You see a lot of college students that don't smoke or chew do one or the other during the lead up to finals.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sigmund Freud smoked a pipe, I believe, and he expressed opinions on smoking in general. Of course he had his theory about oral gratification. I think he also said, at onc point, sometimes a good cigar is just a cigar.

Personally, I'd agree with the ritual of down time to be in the moment and focus on ones thoughts, or to have an agreeable and companionable time with another smoker or two.

The simplicity of it is central, although to read our posts you'd think it was astro physics.
I think the cigar is just a cigar thing wasn't actually him. If I remember correctly it was from a fictionalized version of him.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
S
Sigmund Freud smoked a pipe, I believe, and he expressed opinions on smoking in general. Of course he had his theory about oral gratification. I think he also said, at one point, sometimes a good cigar is just a cigar.

Sigmund Freud smoked cigars. That’s not a fiction.

Sigmund Freud smoked cigars. That’s not a fiction.
He smoked both cigars and pipes.

I think the cigar is just a cigar thing wasn't actually him. If I remember correctly it was from a fictionalized version of him.
It was attributed to him from a speech in which he was discussing noun genders in Romance languages, and sexual roles in sentence structures. Language studies was one earliest and most famous studies, before psychology. However, Germanic and English speakers have a hard time understanding this concept... so in a moment of awkwardness, he said the now famous and often misunderstood phrase to break the ice.
However, because there is no evidence (written or recorded) Google states that there is no evidence. However, it is one of his most famous saying... that many witnesses have recalled throughout history.