Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I apologize if this has been asked before somewhere and I missed it. I looked. What is the deal with the Esoterica blends and the "mystique" behind them? I am at a disadvantage here admittedly as I am a newbie and have never tried any of them. But it seems from what little I think I know is that they are hard to come by, in everyone's rotation somehow and expensive when you can find them.

Is it the taste? Are they THAT GOOD? I get it, that's subjective. Again, I have never tried any, so therein may be my answer.

Is it because they are scarce and that makes them alluring in some way?

Do you experienced members feel it is worth the effort to go on the "Grail Quest" for this stuff?

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
I managed to pick up a few tins of some Eso. And Germains at my local B&M, but I wasn't on the quest for any. Also I haven't even gotten around to smoking them yet. I'm far from experienced but an answer to your question is no. There's so much that is available and also good that hunting down these rare tobaccos seems almost trivial.
Gotcha. Thank you very much for your opinion. That's the kind of info I am looking for!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Aug 1, 2012
They are rather nice, solid blends and I do find some of them worth searching for. Now, paying the exorbitant prices for them on the secondary market is not worth it to me. They are findable in good b&m shops and I stock up when I find them.

They also make for good trading stock and some easily liquidated funds for emergencies.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
They are rather nice, solid blends and I do find some of them worth searching for. Now, paying the exorbitant prices for them on the secondary market is not worth it to me. They are findable in good b&m shops and I stock up when I find them.

They also make for good trading stock and some easily liquidated funds for emergencies.
This^^^^

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Maybe its all in the head but I do believe there is something special about them. If you smoke a few different blends you'll probably know what I mean. Are they in a league of their own? Probably not but there is a certain quality about them that is unique to them. Scarcity also plays into it as well Im sure.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have been a pipe smoker for quite sometime and haven't tried a single Esoterica blend - so I understand where you stand - but I have found no tobacco to be desired to the extent of panic buying
I'm sure it's tasty but it's tobacco - If they said semois was going extinct that would be one I'd understand - I haven't desired semois for years.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey

Understood. No good B&M shops by me. Stuck looking on line and I guess finding anything in stock is like hitting the lottery. Appreciate the input!

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Maybe its all in the head but I do believe there is something special about them. If you smoke a few different blends you'll probably know what I mean. Are they in a league of their own? Probably not but there is a certain quality about them that is unique to them. Scarcity also plays into it as well Im sure.
Just curious. What do you find special? I do smoke different blends and lean towards the latakia heavier blends. I think I understand what you mean. There are definitely some I do not see myself without having. Pirate Kake, Ten Russians, Nighcap to name a few. I heard that Penzance however is something that is a bucket list must try...

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
The most I've paid for a bag is 50 and the norm is 40. My last haul of tins were 11 bucks a tin and 15 is what I'm used to paying. Those prices are not out of the way and are fair for a boutique blend in my opinion. I won't buy from the secondary market. As for the taste, there is something unique about them. Sometimes I swear I can taste the salt air from the isle which may have crept in during the aging process or maybe it's flavors infused in the 100+ year old equipment used by the blender. Either way Eso has a distinct flavor profile I enjoy. I am not a fan of all their blends, but I am stocked on what I like.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
The most I've paid for a bag is 50 and the norm is 40. My last haul of tins were 11 bucks a tin and 15 is what I'm used to paying. Those prices are not out of the way and are fair for a boutique blend in my opinion. I won't buy from the secondary market. As for the taste, there is something unique about them. Sometimes I swear I can taste the salt air from the isle which may have crept in during the aging process or maybe it's flavors infused in the 100+ year old equipment used by the blender. Either way Eso has a distinct flavor profile I enjoy. I am not a fan of all their blends, but I am stocked on what I like.
Thank you very much for the input!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Agreed with some of the above. They have their own profiles and if you like them, you'll want them like anything else. I'm not a huge english smoker, but I bought a bag of Penzance just to try it. Had 2 bowls, gave the rest away to someone I know who really enjoys it. On the other hand, I do very much like virginia forward blends and consider Dorchester one of my favorite VA/Per blends.

I don't pay above retail though. $40-$50 per bag is totally worth it if you find a blend of theirs you like.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Agreed with some of the above. They have their own profiles and if you like them, you'll want them like anything else. I'm not a huge english smoker, but I bought a bag of Penzance just to try it. Had 2 bowls, gave the rest away to someone I know who really enjoys it. On the other hand, I do very much like virginia forward blends and consider Dorchester one of my favorite VA/Per blends.

I don't pay above retail though. $40-$50 per bag is totally worth it if you find a blend of theirs you like.
I can see $40 or $50 I guess for a good English. I was just curious if these were "toe curlers" when you smoked them.

Status
Not open for further replies.