Why No "Made in _______" Stamp on Vauen and Barling pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Current production pipes branded "Vauen" and "Barling" do not have a country stamp.
I think Vauen pipes are made in Germany. Why no country stamp?
I think Barling pipes are made in Italy. Because these are a revival of an old English brand, perhaps it is a marketing decision?

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Good question, maybe some of the brand are made in the assumed countries, some farmed out to other countries, i.e.,China,Denmark??. In other words, same brand made in different countries so no markings would be easier than the trouble of different markings. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Vauen makes or finishes many of their own pipes in Germany. They purchase briar from several sources especially Italy. Some are designed by Cesare Barontini and usually say so. Barontini makes Stanwell and others and is the largest Italian producer of export pipes. I'm not familiar with Barling but @sablebrush52 might know where they are made or sourced.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Vauen makes or finishes many of their own pipes in Germany. They purchase briar from several sources especially Italy. Some are designed by Cesare Barontini and usually say so. Barontini makes Stanwell and others and is the largest Italian producer of export pipes. I'm not familiar with Barling but @sablebrush52 might know where they are made or sourced.
Good point. Every brand (except Italian) imports ébauchons from elsewhere, and some may import partial or complete stummels. So "Made in" sometimes means "Finished in".

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Good point. Every brand (except Italian) imports ébauchons from elsewhere, and some may import partial or complete stummels. So "Made in" sometimes means "Finished in".
Savinelli explains it better:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I assume that the reference to Barling is to the new line that K, formerly known as K&K, commissioned. The British and Danish made versions all had COM stamps. I don't know who makes these for K, formerly known as K&K. Who do they usually contract to make their various brand named pipes, like the Rattray pipes?

Reactions: Hillcrest

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't think that lacking a stamp means you can necessarily conclude that they're trying to hide something.

Other possibilities:
• Stamping a pipe takes tooling. Tooling needs refreshing. One less stamp to have to keep up with is one place you have to spend less money in production—financial.
• There's lots of info stamped already, for many this is a logo and a shape number or model name. Adding a "made in _____" increases the total area taken up by stamping, possibly making the stamping look too busy—aesthetic.

That's just off the top of my head, there's a plethora of other possibilities like, maybe they don't feel like they need to stamp because most people know? Maybe they just didn't think about it at all because they're not patriotically minded?

Just like if a business runs a sale, that doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to clear inventory or move something that isn't moving or trying to motivate people to buy a crap product.

Not everything is insidious or ill-intent... and this is coming from a professed skeptic and misanthrope.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
Vauen stopped working with Barontini many years ago, so all current available Vauen Pipes are made in Germany.