PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Can’t seem to find much about this blend. The only review I can find was by the great @JimInks (not that should be more than enough)?. Couldn’t find any discussion about it on here, I know it’s a relatively recent offering. Anyone try it? Like it? Hate it? Ordered 4oz simply based in Jim’s single review and the components seemed to be in my wheelhouse. Any input would be appreciated !

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Can’t seem to find much about this blend. The only review I can find was by the great @JimInks (not that should be more than enough)?. Couldn’t find any discussion about it on here, I know it’s a relatively recent offering. Anyone try it? Like it? Hate it? Ordered 4oz simply based in Jim’s single review and the components seemed to be in my wheelhouse. Any input would be appreciated !
Not sure what else I can tell you outside of my review. @John Brandt sent me a nice sample, and asked what I thought before he released it. I said, "Sell it"! That was my total input. I'm curious to read what you think of it when you get it.

I found it to be a comfortable, fairly sweet mild to medium smoke with a good tobacco base that won't wear out its welcome during the day.

For those who haven't seen my review: The sweet Maryland burley offers plenty of nuts, earth, wood, toast, light sugar, and molasses. It takes a small lead. The Virginia provides some tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, bread, vegetation, light floralness, and a pinch of spice as an important supporting player. The aspects of the perique are a fair amount of spice, earth, wood, and some dried plums. It’s is the third slot, though it has a secondary effect on the proceedings. The very sugary, lightly creamy vanilla sweet Royal Scot cavendish is a notch below the perique. The strength and nic-hit are in the center of mild to medium. The taste is a step past that mark. Won’t bite or get harsh. Well balanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly fast pace with a very consistent nutty, sugary, mildly spicy, rather smooth flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a very pleasant room note. Can be an all day smoke.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Not sure what else I can tell you outside of my review. @John Brandt sent me a nice sample, and asked what I thought before he released it. I said, "Sell it"! That was my total input. I'm curious to read what you think of it when you get it.

I found it to be a comfortable, fairly sweet mild to medium smoke with a good tobacco base that won't wear out its welcome during the day.

For those who haven't seen my review: The sweet Maryland burley offers plenty of nuts, earth, wood, toast, light sugar, and molasses. It takes a small lead. The Virginia provides some tart and tangy citrus, grass, sugar, bread, vegetation, light floralness, and a pinch of spice as an important supporting player. The aspects of the perique are a fair amount of spice, earth, wood, and some dried plums. It’s is the third slot, though it has a secondary effect on the proceedings. The very sugary, lightly creamy vanilla sweet Royal Scot cavendish is a notch below the perique. The strength and nic-hit are in the center of mild to medium. The taste is a step past that mark. Won’t bite or get harsh. Well balanced, it burns cool and clean at a slightly fast pace with a very consistent nutty, sugary, mildly spicy, rather smooth flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a very pleasant room note. Can be an all day smoke.
Thank you sir for the extra 411. Excited about trying it when it gets here. Will post my thoughts after a couple bowls.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia

Got my shipment yesterday. Had 2 bowls last night and been smoking it all day at work. As usual, your review was dead on sir. Let me just state that I’m not a big fan of flavored aromatics and this is not one in my opinion. All the tobaccos work very well together to create a very smooth smoke! The vanilla from the Royal Scot, when it does show up is almost like a good cream soda and way in the background. My normal all day work smoke is Amphora Burley Blend. Well, I think that I may have found a replacement in Palmer! It is very good indeed sir! I would encourage anyone to try it, aro hater or not.

John Brandt

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2020
Fall River MA
Got my shipment yesterday. Had 2 bowls last night and been smoking it all day at work. As usual, your review was dead on sir. Let me just state that I’m not a big fan of flavored aromatics and this is not one in my opinion. All the tobaccos work very well together to create a very smooth smoke! The vanilla from the Royal Scot, when it does show up is almost like a good cream soda and way in the background. My normal all day work smoke is Amphora Burley Blend. Well, I think that I may have found a replacement in Palmer! It is very good indeed sir! I would encourage anyone to try it, aro hater or not.
Glad you enjoyed the blend. Thanks John

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thanks @John Brandt!

FYI all, decided on a sampler and working on some blends of his I want to order in a little more quantity, so the newest candidates are Palmer, Rumcake (because I like the No. 515), Surburg 71st Street, and Cherry Cavendish. By the end of next week I hope the weather allows me to unwind with some on my deck!

John Brandt

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2020
Fall River MA
Thanks @John Brandt!

FYI all, decided on a sampler and working on some blends of his I want to order in a little more quantity, so the newest candidates are Palmer, Rumcake (because I like the No. 515), Surburg 71st Street, and Cherry Cavendish. By the end of next week I hope the weather allows me to unwind with some on my deck!
Sounds like a good plan.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm no connoisseur, but I get the burley which I like and wherever it comes from the sugar cream/little tang is there as mentioned kind of hanging around and that's about it for my palate, but it is smooth and easy going - had a little while grilling earlier, so didn't really kick back and relax, but I like it!