PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Dunhill have been manufacturing those pipes with vulcanite stems for such a long time, why would they change their production process when there is absolutely no need to do so? I can only seem them changing it when acrylic proves to be massively cheaper. They are factory-made after all. Modern Dunhill’s are overrated anyhow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a practical level, the Vulcanite versus acrylic question means almost nothing to me. However, given the choice, I prefer a quality Vulcanite to an acrylic stem, for a little extra comfort. But I can't deny the ease of maintenance and the snappy sustained appearance of acrylic stems. Even a little oxidation that is easily cleaned is just slightly demoralizing.

Also, I like some of the colors that come up better in acrylic than in Vulcanite, though some Vulcanite Cumberland stems are quite handsome.

As relates to the White Spot brand, at almost any price level in the White Spot line, you can get a better pipe in a different brand, or two pipes in many cases. It only requires you know a little more about pipes.

Reactions: MacMarty89

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I agree with the view that Dunhill depends on its history and reputation to justify its product and prices. The point made earlier by @MacMarty89 about there being little motivation for them to change their manufacturing process is important. The vulcanite and white spot will probably carry on.

Reactions: MacMarty89