48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I know some people knock it but a Bic and hemp wick for this guy. Hemp wick is so convenient for me. Not a fan of matches and I dont like the taste of lighter fluid. I wish I didn’t mind it because these fancy lighters you guys are using are really appealing.

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
Sorry to say there is not much to the story. I collect nautical stuff, mostly cheap stuff that catches my eye when we go to the beach. A friend gave me this to add to my collection when my Dad passed some 17 years ago. Our Dads were both on ships in WW II so it meant a ton to me. I can’t find a lot about the piece itself on the net. It says R.E.Kirkpatrick on it but that’s it. My friend does not know what ship he was on.
Very cool. It definitely brings up some good old memories for me.

Reactions: AreBee
Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
I got a Zippo butane pipe lighter insert recently, pretty disappointed with it so far tbh. It only takes a tiny amount of fuel when I fill it, and doesn't have enough pressure to keep the flame going in the slightest breeze. Basically unusable outdoors. So it's back to the old Bic for me.

I haven't used a regular Zippo much because I only smoke 1-3 times per week, and I lose more fuel to evaporation than I do from using it. But I also ordered some of those rubber gaskets that supposedly cut the evaporation down by half or more, so I'll give the regular liquid fuel insert another try when those come.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Zippo with a pipe insert or a bic lighter. Occasionally Swan matches.

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
I use a Corona Old Boy Blue Metallic lacquer/chrome lighter primarily. I like some of the brass/embossed Kiribis -- might end up with one of those around xmas time. :) The Old Boy can be challenging in the wind.

IMG_4127.jpeg

Reactions: Tbaggins

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I use a Corona Old Boy Blue Metallic lacquer/chrome lighter primarily. I like some of the brass/embossed Kiribis -- might end up with one of those around xmas time. :) The Old Boy can be challenging in the wind.

View attachment 306042
Gorgeous! I was about to pull the trigger on a chrome brushed IM until I realized it was a single nozzle flame...
My Peterson has a dual nozzle, so does the Kabuto. I find my Peterson works outdoors with a breeze when any other soft flame wouldn't. I was shocked! People say a fancy lighter like a Peterson is no better than a Bic... I disagree! From the feel, fit and finish, performance, and even how it kisses or lights the tobacco exactly as you want it to all seems better to me.
I wish IM Corona would update its design to a dual nozzle soft flame. I'd buy one in a heartbeat then!

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
Gorgeous! I was about to pull the trigger on a chrome brushed IM until I realized it was a single nozzle flame...
My Peterson has a dual nozzle, so does the Kabuto. I find my Peterson works outdoors with a breeze when any other soft flame wouldn't. I was shocked! People say a fancy lighter like a Peterson is no better than a Bic... I disagree! From the feel, fit and finish, performance, and even how it kisses or lights the tobacco exactly as you want it to all seems better to me.
I wish IM Corona would update its design to a dual nozzle soft flame. I'd buy one in a heartbeat then!
Thanks! And thanks for the info -- I didn't know about the single/dual nozzles specifically. Maybe I will move getting a Kabuto up on the priority list. :)