PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Placer County, California
About 25 years ago I wanted to know more about pipe smoking, so I bought a book called The Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Carlton Hacker. I read it cover to cover more than once, and then years went by where I was only a very casual pipe smoker.

In the last two years I’ve become a daily smoker, and also an avid consumer of media concerning pipes. I’ve listened faithfully to the primary three or four podcasts on pipes and tobacco, and I’ve looked through their archives, yet I never hear his name being brought up these days. Is there a reason for this? Back in the pre-Internet days, he seemed like the only person who knew what he was talking about in my orbit. I realize that’s not the case these days, but still I never see him mentioned in any way. Is there some reason for this? Or was my assumption of his expertise and stature just that?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I learned a great deal from The Ultimate Pipe Book. I discovered it in about 1992 or so, It seems more than a few think him a bit of an Elitist for lack of a better term. I don't know what became of him but, I don't think you ever hear from him outside of a forum with a revenue stream.

Mike S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
His books are mentioned here from time to time, but no one's technique will exactly work for another. Smoking a pipe is too subjective to the individual for any concrete rules to be established. I've read his work and find many of his ideas over thought and would make smoking a pipe sound like an unachievable goal for the new smoker.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
His books are mentioned here from time to time, but no one's technique will exactly work for another. Smoking a pipe is too subjective to the individual for any concrete rules to be established. I've read his work and find many of his ideas over thought and would make smoking a pipe sound like an unachievable goal for the new smoker.
I understand. I can’t say I followed his advice too closely either, but I did appreciate at that time of precious few available resources his history of pipes and tobacco, overview in f different makers, and some stab at making a successful attempt to smoke. I can’t say I ever found his honey coating on the bowl too compelling. But more, I just wonder at why he seems utterly absent from any conversation I’ve witnessed these days.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have his The Ultimate Cigar Book. It's not so much about techniques as it is a survey on cigars, with a "directory" of brands and a description of their offerings which I've found rather useful. I made it a point to pull it out in front of a full class of students at the university and read it whilst I invigilated their final lab exam: my personal way of giving the finger to the university's head honchos on the very semester they declared the varsity "smoke free".

I wanted to get Hacker's book on pipes, but never got the chance.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I believe he moved away from pipes, to custom shotguns, wine, and other luxury items. (I guess pipes were the hot item at the time, now cigars have assumed that role). Books are somewhat dated and in the internet world, we now know they contain some errors.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
I believe he moved away from pipes, to custom shotguns, wine, and other luxury items. (I guess pipes were the hot item at the time, now cigars have assumed that role). Books are somewhat dated and in the internet world, we now know they contain some errors.
I believe most such books would be outdated, including his. My question was more aimed at why he’s not part of the new research and conversation borne of the internet age. Your answer that he moved away from pipes and toward other items might explain it. The book seemed very much a product of the late 1970’s/early 1980’s. I guess he said what he wanted and moved on.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But more, I just wonder at why he seems utterly absent from any conversation I’ve witnessed these days.
Pipe smoking has moved past him in the past forty years. Blenders, carvers, and entire producers have come and gone in that amount of time. In the thirty years I've been smoking I only heard the name a couple of years ago when I read his books.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Pipe smoking has moved past him in the past forty years. Blenders, carvers, and entire producers have come and gone in that amount of time. In the thirty years I've been smoking I only heard the name a couple of years ago when I read his books.
It seems likelier that he moved past it and not vice versa. I see no evidence that he was rendered obsolete through a series of failed efforts to remain relevant. He still seems to successfully traffic in other quality consumer goods like liquor and cigars, just not pipes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's been over 25 years since he wrote the book and he hasn't been in the spotlight for quite a while. Meanwhile other people have written on pipesmoking with considerable eloquence.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.