PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
There was this restaurant close to me called "Ruttenbucks." I understand trying to pander to redneck crowd, though why the owners though the image of quadrupeds fucking would rouse the appetite is beyond me.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Way back in the day I used to frequent this place called Shagnasties... It was a fitting name, and they happened to serve food there, so I'll count it. ;)

Seriously though... I've been to several Asian restaurants with funny names..1682388223886.png Pho Bich Nga in Vancouver, BC
1682388249661.png Fu King in Lake City, FL1682388323855.pngPho Shizzle in Renton, WA

I've even been to the best fishing shop in the entire world...1682388476336.png in Puerto Vallarta, MX

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There was this restaurant close to me called "Ruttenbucks." I understand trying to pander to redneck crowd, though why the owners though the image of quadrupeds fucking would rouse the appetite is beyond me.
sometimes getting people to talk is all you need to get people coming in.
On that note I was shocked to find out that the road kill cafe is a really place in Southern PA in the middle of no where. Really good place, very basic standard fare but was really well done when I was there. Though I feel like they make more money on merch then food as they sold how many gosh darn shirts over the years? Maybe that place was thinking of trying the same thing. Also met a family there that while very nice might call our conversation we had the time they met and talked with a Martian.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't remember who said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the public's taste." Which is even more true with the names of restaurants.

Meantime, corporations, franchise outfits and such spend months and much money studying names for their stores and products with utmost sensitivity.

Despite what turns up on store shelves and on great big store signs, I think a really catchy appealing name (not a funny clunker or something smutty) counts for a lot. If people like saying a name, either for its literal meaning or just for its sound or musical rhythm, it goes a long way to make a business click. For one thing, it is memorable. And it is just fun to say or even just to think.

My wife still teases me about my getting all excited about a shop called Cherry Pie, which I took to be a new bakery nearby, only to realize on entering, the inventory was sex toys.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Years ago, while visiting California, a friend pointed out to me a fast food joint that had recently opened near him. The name was "Mr. Bunny" and the specialty was fried rabbit. Can you imagine parents trying to explain to their kids what that was all about? As you have probably guessed, it didn't last long. puffy

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon