PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For people who don't follow the World Cup, FYI, the players on these teams don't regularly play together. These teams are all-star teams made up from the various football (soccer) teams within each nation.

I went through a long informal orientation to watching football/soccer. For a long time, I thought the goal was too small, since the scores tend to be so low and nil-to-nil games are not rare. But eventually I picked up the bug, at least once I get attuned to a particular game.

A trip or two to England, Ireland, and The Netherlands, where this is a major sport, got me intrigued. Although signs in England at pubs and restaurants stipulate "No Football Busses," a not subtle warning that the crowds may not be good natured.

This year I've been so distracted by the controversy related to Qatar being the host country, and the politics and possible corruption surrounding that, that I'm not sure I can focus on the games.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
This year I've been so distracted by the controversy related to Qatar being the host country, and the politics and possible corruption surrounding that, that I'm not sure I can focus on the games.

I am not willing to follow the World Cup in a corrupt state, that is responsible for the death of thousands of workers in building stadiums and gives a shit on human rights. And even the FIFA might be again involved in corruption (as usual). Soccer on that level is nothing but commercial.

Jun 9, 2018
England
If you were a betting man and bet on Saudi Arabia to beat Argentina. Congratulations you are now as rich as a Saudi prince. Who saw that coming?
Great game. Not for a single solitary second did I think Saudi would turn over Argentina. 2nd favourites with the bookies and a lot of people's pick to win the tournament. Definitely one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history.

Argentina need to get something out of their next game or they'll be going home.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Until they figure out how to throw a 60 yard touchdown they will always be named soccer. Football is for men, soccer is for floppers, they make me want to puke.

I should add I played a lot of soccer during spring sports and my right foot was the stronger of 2. I played defense as I could kick the boll a mile.

Reactions: JOHN72

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I suppose I'm something of an outlier here inasmuch as I don't really care for soccer though I'd probably watch an England/USA game ;).

My main gripe is that it's plastered all over the TV, on every channel, despite these TV companies having dedicated sports channels.

I just don't like my routine being shuffled about so I'll be digging deep into my DVD collection to cover me for the whole series. I've started already with the excellent Sherlock Holmes boxset with Jeremy Brett as Holmes :sher:.

Regards,

Jay.

The Foot Ball is not my cup of tea either, and hasn't been for years (I still think Ian Wright plays for Arsenal), so you're not alone. I didn't even realize it was the (men's) world cup this year.

• Haha
Reactions: simong

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I’m a Canadian who has moved to the U.S but I’ve been an England football fan my whole life. Looking forward to Fridays game!

*Can’t believe Southgate started H. Maguire against Iran
I couldn't agree more. Harry should have been in London being crowned the rightful King of Britain. Plus they need his legs for more important matches.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Until they figure out how to throw a 60 yard touchdown they will always be named soccer. Football is for men, soccer is for floppers, they make me want to puke.

I should add I played a lot of soccer during spring sports and my right foot was the stronger of 2. I played defense as I could kick the boll a mile.
1F3AA223-1D7F-4120-8549-81E83D633741.png

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
"Football is for men, soccer is for floppers, they make me want to puke."

At least soccer players don't go out on the field wearing body armour & crash helmets in case they might get hurt. Real men? Bunch of lily livered pansies the lot of them nnnn.

Regards,

Jay.
That’s a bit lazy, don’t you think? The games are so different as to make comparisons a matter of subjectivity. The fact is that American football could simply not be played as is without the equipment.

Combine football and American football, give each player a club, two very sharp knives for each foot, and crank up the speed to about 25 mph and you get ice hockey:

Ouch