PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Hey friends, in light of recently finding a crack in the mortise on my Radice, I began thinking about the unfortunate experiences that others may have had with their prized pipes. I know that many of you have had much worse occurrences than mine. So, if you feel inclined, share with us what was your most unfortunate pipe tragedy! And, were you able to remedy the tragedy?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I was keeping my little cased SM Frank (I think from the 30s) in my Michigan garage during the winter. I pulled it out and smoked it right away and it developed a hairline crack up and down the left side of the bowl.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52638234412_fe14be6a77_c.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I broke an amber stem on a very old and very nice pipe that I have chosen to entirely forget about until now. I forget the make, model and shape, but I was pretty upset at the time. Now, it's a "meh", compared to the daily true tragedies that surround us all. Yesterday I learned that the woman that has cut my hair for 22 years passed away at age 41, leaving a husband and two sons, ages 10 and 12. She gave our daughter her first haircut, and many more after that, doting over her as she gave her beautiful French braids. She was the kind of person that could brighten any day, make anyone smile and laugh.

I enjoy pipes and tobaccos because they bring me pleasure. If something goes awry, so be it, I move on and forget about it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I broke an amber stem on a very old and very nice pipe that I have chosen to entirely forget about until now. I forget the make, model and shape, but I was pretty upset at the time. Now, it's a "meh", compared to the daily true tragedies that surround us all. Yesterday I learned that the woman that has cut my hair for 22 years passed away at age 41, leaving a husband and two sons, ages 10 and 12. She gave our daughter her first haircut, and many more after that, doting over her as she gave her beautiful French braids. She was the kind of person that could brighten any day, make anyone smile and laugh.

I enjoy pipes and tobaccos because they bring me pleasure. If something goes awry, so be it, I move on and forget about it.
Yup, pipe don’t compare to true losses like that.

Also, this thread is probably going to have the most “Sad” reactions on the whole forum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You sure know what to say to make a guy’s legs weak 😵‍💫

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re going to throw a Weaver away please, I beg you, let me know! I will drive to Kentucky to pick it up.
I'll let you know if I ever break one but that's a bit of a strong reaction for just a pipe.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Carol