Worth Growing 20-30 Yenidje Plants Next Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have been debating finding some "legit" Yenidje seeds to try grow my own next year. I have successfully grown Virginias and have worked on farms off and own since I was a child so the cultivation is not an issue. I can approximately match the soils to their historical growing area soils through amendments.

The question : if harvested and cured properly, will the characteristics be similar to the varietals grown back in the day? Is it worth the effort? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I starved the stuff for water and grew it in very dry, hot conditions. Being that the esters or wax compounds that give Oriental tobacco it's signature flavor are produced in response to harsher environmental stimuli, I think my environment helped the final product. Terroir is a whole nother topic. What Embers is saying is not only true, but the source (if someone told you it was Yenidje would you trust them) is also another issue.

That's why I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to make an authentic match effort, and suggest not shying away from the strains like Canik that are fairly well known across seed sources and growers.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
This is very helpful. I will be growing in a 35' wide by 100' greenhouse with a climate control system to maintain heat and humidity as preferred. I am looking at soil profiles across Xanthi and should be able to come damn close to the same profile and chemical composition. Nothing else will be grown during this experiment.

I'd be curious to know what you've found out about the soil characteristics and how you plan to match them.
I've always had a green thumb and love this part of the process, but I don't currently have much of an opportunity to because of living situation.

AMDG

Lurker
Jun 26, 2022
I have been debating finding some "legit" Yenidje seeds to try grow my own next year. I have successfully grown Virginias and have worked on farms off and own since I was a child so the cultivation is not an issue. I can approximately match the soils to their historical growing area soils through amendments.

The question : if harvested and cured properly, will the characteristics be similar to the varietals grown back in the day? Is it worth the effort? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I’d be very interested to know the conditions/climate/setup you cured the successful Virginia in if you’d be willing to share.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Go for it! Though as Embers said, the place and practice of growing, as well as picking and curing affect what you get. “Orientals” are notoriously hard to reproduce outside of their growing regions.
For reference i grew some burley seeds in Greece two years ago and got something that tasted very much like Greek Basma.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
This is very helpful. I will be growing in a 35' wide by 100' greenhouse with a climate control system to maintain heat and humidity as preferred. I am looking at soil profiles across Xanthi and should be able to come damn close to the same profile and chemical composition. Nothing else will be grown during this experiment.
I am jealous of your greenhouse! To what level are you able to amend? Are you mixing soil or is this a drip-fed hydro system? Local NPK levels are easy enough to find through university and government sources, but the less than one percent trace mineral - which is the real difference maker for the subtleties of terroir - stuff less so.