YelloBole Pipes? Anyone have xperience, ill share mine.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Has anyone tried a yellobole? they are made of brylon wich is briar sawdust, and high heat epoxy, sounds terrible, but i have one and it smokes very well actually, i have an opportunity to buy more, for good prices, but i would like to know if anyone has tried one before

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I have a Yello-Bole Spartan in a prince shape. Mechanics of the thing as far as draw and so on are fine. Passes a pipe cleaner, does not gurgle or smoke hot.

Only negative is that it seems heavy for it's size, aside from that it's serviceable.
Not finding a pic for the thing, will need to remedy that soon.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I had a couple Brylon pipes from Medico and Yello-Bole that I got in a lot. I cleaned them up, gave them a smoke to try them out...then I cleaned them again and gave them to my local theatre to use as props. Not to my liking at all. Smoked too hot and wet and weighed too much for their size.
Definitely good for prop use though because they do look good at a distance. :lol:

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Not all Yello-Bole pipes are Brylon.

I have a briar Yello-Bole nose warmer that smokes nice...never smoked a brylon one though.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Sawdust & epoxy mix - sounds positively awful and cheap! What was the rationale with this, cost savings in the manufacturing process perhaps? I can't think of any other reason a pipe manufacturer would do such a thing.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Remember the scene in The Graduate when Mr. McGuire says to Benjamin, "I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? PLASTICS." Well, brylon came along during that great period of innovation that also brought us melmac (not to be confused with ALF's home planet), bakelite, PVC, and a host of other wonderful polymers. Plastics were new, modern, and fast! And made life better for the frugal consumer. The fact that they still produce and sell brylon suggests they are not completely without merit. I own one Yello Bole brylon, and it's functional, if not delightful, to smoke. It is quite heavy for its size, and does smoke hot--those two points are inherent to the material. It does however smoke quite neutral, cleans easily, has no need for a cake, and would likely survive being run over by a diesel truck, several positives in my book. And hey, never thought of them for props, but they are perfect for that sort of abuse!

Status
Not open for further replies.