PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lianza

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2021
Wilberforce, Ontario
Hello pipe smokers!

What is your favourite stem shape?
Why?

I have three straight stemmed pipes, a billiard and two apples. And I find I’m reaching for those pipes first. Not only do I find I like the smoke out of the straight stemmed pipes but I like the look of them as well (I have a round face). What’s your favourite?

Thanks!

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Straight taper, especially on billiards and apples. Tried to like saddles, but find them not pleasing to the eye. They "work" on pots and lovats, but that's about it for me. Saddle bit on a bent disgusts me. (Slight exageration. Hey, you asked!)

Reactions: Toast and STP

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Straight but I have not tried a bent stem in years and not at all since I became a little more serious about the pipe. Though not always may favorite aesthetically I like the way a saddle bit feels.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Any stem NOT a Charatan double-comfort or Sadieni Fantail. I just can't abide them, no matter how much I try. ?

I don't have any, but love the look of amber tortoiseshell stems (with the right bowl, of course).

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Coincidently most of my pipes, except 1, are at least 1/8 bent. A straight pipe I like is long 6 to 7 inch and I have just found one that appealed to me, Briarworks Cutty with a great wire rustication. For stems I like generally saddles, for straight pipes that also narrows it down to Lovats or Lumber man's I look for.

Reactions: Chasing Embers