PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
Ya, I have the Z-Pipe one. Was inexpensive, lights on second or third click every time, holds enough fuel to last me a few days, adjustable flame and is easier on the rims of my pipes than a bic. I’ve had it for a year and it’s been great, reliable, no leaks.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I prefer the normal because of the way the flame points up. And because the smell doesn't bother me on the normal one or the taste.
Good to know! I’ve been considering these but the normal zippo doesn’t bother me and I love how wind resistant it is with me nearly exclusively being an outdoor smoker.

The main reason I wanted it was to store it in a case that doesn’t get much use. I wanted to have a butane lighter in there so the fuel wouldn’t evaporate.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Good to know! I’ve been considering these but the normal zippo doesn’t bother me and I love how wind resistant it is with me nearly exclusively being an outdoor smoker.

The main reason I wanted it was to store it in a case that doesn’t get much use. I wanted to have a butane lighter in there so the fuel wouldn’t evaporate.
Oh yeah it definitely holds fuel a lot longer. I havent used mine in about a year, and I had it out the other day. To my surprise, it lit like 3rd try and continued to light every strike after.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Anybody used the newer soft flame butane pipe insert? Looking for an alternative that doesn’t impart a funky taste.
How do you distinguish between 'newer' and 'older' butane inserts: when did a newer version appear, and what's the difference?

I've used a Zippo butane pipe insert long enough to dislike it. First of all, it's strange that there's no pass-through hole on the side opposite the one the flame is drawn through. The regular Zippo pipe insert has it; why not the butane pipe insert? Not only does it rule out left-handed use, it doesn't allow the flame to rise nor the air that feeds it to circulate. In my experience, it makes the lighter less reliable.

I find the insert troublesome to light, requiring too many flicks. And to prevent the butane flame from going out, it has to be set to too long a flame for my liking (as it sometimes licks the edge of the pipe bowl).

These days, I use a regular Zippo on windy days, and a Kiribi butane lighter at other times. When I'm traveling, I prefer a Clipper: reliable, adjustable, refillable, functions as a tamper, and yet inexpensive enough to not be a big deal if you lose it.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I picked up a windproof butane insert, and while I wanted it to work, it still blew out in the slightest breeze. Went back to using my regular Zippo pipe lighter, and I'm happy with it. And unlike some others, using Zippo fuel, I get NO taste out of it.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill